Happy with weight but not with waist - continue calorie defi

Options
What do you all think I should do? Lose more weight to get waist size and body fat % down, then work on re-adding weight using weight training, or, try to maintain weight and solely focus on converting fat mass to muscle mass (so to speak)?

I'm 74kg, 5ft11in. My waist was 37.5" in January, it's now 34.5" and I'd like it to be 32" (not sure why, but I suspect I might start to see my abs at that point).

My body fat % is somewhere between 14 and 18% depending on which calculation you use. I'd like it to be 10% -- so there are 3-6kg of fat that I need to lose.

I'm currently running a 500kcal/day deficit to lose 1lb/week (roughly) but also working with weights to build muscle, or at least minimize muscle loss.

SO: where to go now?

Continue with the deficit, drop weight to maybe 71kg and then go to maintenance calories (or more) and hit the weights even harder?

Or eat at maintenance NOW, continue working hard with the strength training, and expect the same overall result?

Which is more advisable?

Thanks! Jonathan.

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I would base it off how you feel, if you feel like a challenge then shed more fat and then go to muscle building like I am or if you feel fine at your current body fat level then go gain muscle. I am pushing it to the 10% or less range for sh*ts and giggles just to see how far I can push it.