fat free yogurt

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
My wonderful mom found some fat free yogurt on sale and bought me a lot of them. I looked at the nutritional info and they have 33gm of sugar. Holy Crap. One had 14. I called her and told her she needs to really read the labels because she is also trying to lose weight and she bought some for herself. I love her for trying. I will let the kids and hubby eat them.
She also bought herself some sugar free candies and they are loaded with fat. Label reading is the key.

Replies

• icandoit
    Options
    My wonderful mom found some fat free yogurt on sale and bought me a lot of them. I looked at the nutritional info and they have 33gm of sugar. Holy Crap. One had 14. I called her and told her she needs to really read the labels because she is also trying to lose weight and she bought some for herself. I love her for trying. I will let the kids and hubby eat them.
    She also bought herself some sugar free candies and they are loaded with fat. Label reading is the key.
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There are some yogourts... I don't know if they sell them in the states but I love em, danone sillouette fat free and 0 sugar added.
    Delicious.
  • icandoit
    Options
    Thank you. I will get some this weekend.
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    I would suggest you buy Dannon Light & Fit yogurt...each cup has only 60 calories, and they are delicious, with many different flavors.
  • tdroseler
    Options
    LOL

you have struck upon one of my most hated delemas..however you spell that:happy:

I am watching fat, sugar/carbs, and salt....well wouldn't you know it, if you take one out, more often than not, you put more of the other in. It is frustrating as h e double hockey sticks!!!

I too had to look at a lot of different yogurts before finding what works best. Mostly i found that the ones high in sugar were the fruited ones, and most the sugar came naturally from the fruit. I buy the vanilla yogurt and add my own fruit now. Which actually works best cause i love apple cinnamon yogurt, and it is hard to get around here. I figure this way im getting less preservatives as well.

good luck
    hope this helps
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Try to get plain yogurt. The flavored yogurts are all sugary or loaded with artificial sweetner. I had to wean myself off of the flavored and vanilla yogurt. What I did was I bought two containers, one fat free vanilla and one plain and I started with a 1/4 plain and 3/4 vanilla, then 1/2 1/2 and then 1/4 vanilla and 3/4 plain until I finally got to were I could stand just the plain yogurt. I always eat my yogurt with a piece of fruit so the real fruit adds plenty of sweet to balance the plain yogurt.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the food industry doesn't get it. When they make "fat free", they load up with sugar, and when they make "sugar free" they load up with fat. We need to stop buying these products and educate EVERYONE. There are much better choices out there, we just have to take the time to look for them. Dannon Lite & Fit is one that's very yummy, and not loaded with fat or sugar. This issue is one of my pet peeves. I can't tell you how many people I work with that buys into the "fat free" or "sugar free" crap. :noway: I have now managed to educate quite a number of those people, but we need to keep going and let the food industry know that they are not helping us.:angry:
  • trishhumphrey
    Options
    ARE YOU FROM AUSTRALIA THE ONE ABOUT THE YOGURT NOT BEING IN THE STATES
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing because I have only ever seen apple and cinnamon yogurt here in Aus!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Yeah, but I am trying to get rid of the sugar substitutes too, which Dannon Light & Fit is loaded with. Most of those low sugar or no sugar added foods are loaded with chemicals and those are NOT good for you. I agree with the plain yogurt comment. I had to get used to the taste, but now I love it! Sometimes adding fresh berries to plain yogurt can help the taste. Or even just a little bit of honey. Anything to take the edge off.

I also got advice from a nutrionist that yogurt is a good place to get some of your "good fats"...so try the whole milk plain...it's delicious! Just don't overdo it :tongue:
  • rockabilly_silly
    Options
    I live in Astoria, which is a heavily Greek community here in Queens just minutes outside of Manhattan. A popular way to eat yogurt here is Greek Style: Plain with a drizzle of honey, and a handful of walnuts. My doc says this is super heart-healthy. I get this in restaurants and diners here often, and make it at home. Great protein too. And it also made me fall in love with plain yogurt, which I didn't like beforehand! I like to use Greek yogurt to make the Greek Style dessert. But you can use regular American yogurt, which is more runny.

Now I get Greek yogurt or make it myself. It's thicker than regular yogurt, and has been strained in cheesecloth. Tastes like eating velvet. Hubby and I either strain ours overnight after buying cheap plain yogurt, or we splurge and walk to the nearest Greek grocery and get a brand like Fage. ( http://www.fageusa.com/products.html )
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    has any of you tried that activa yougurt? they say it is good for the digestive system i havent checked out the sugar content yet next time i buy it i will let u know!!!!!
  • jessjess
    Options
    I LOVE yogurt!! It is definitely hard to find one that isn't loaded with sugar though. I like the idea of weaning off of the flavored yogurts and eating the plain yogurt with fresh fruit.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Another good trick for yogurt, and the changeover to plain yogurt:

mix half plain yogurt with half low fat ricotta cheese.

Add in some fresh fruit and it tastes like a desert.

Also have to second the greek yogurt....will def. try the honey and walnuts next time the sweet tooth is painin'

:flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the Dannon FitNLite yogurt and have lost weight using it but I neverr thought about what was in it as I was just looking from the calorie aspect. The less calories the better. Now I will have to look at another label. What a bummer.:ohwell: I want to eat healthier but I do want some of the food to have taste to it.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Home made yogurt recipe:

4 quarts milk
    1 8 oz container plain yogurt with live/active cultures

Scald milk, then mix in yogurt. Pour into quart jars and place in oven around the light. Find a way to keep the oven door open just enough to keep the light on. Leave over night. (The light will heat the yogurt just enough to encourage the live cultures to grow. ) Cover and refrigerate.

I've made this with both cow milk and goat milk. I add sugar to taste and fruit. It doesn't set up the same as store bought yogurt, but it is thicker than milk. I like it that way. Also you can save a cup of the home made yogurt to keep as a starter for another batch. I think you can do that 3 times before buying store bought again.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Making homemade yoghurt is very easy and very satisfying. You can create as many flavours as you have imagination and best of all, you know what is in it. As a diabetic, one of the majour contributers to uncontrolled blood sugars is high fructose corn syrup. Because it is fructose, the body does not recognize it as sugar and so does not produce the insulin to process it. this results in extremely high blood sugar (this is also true for non-diabetics, though to a certain extent less obviously) Many of the yoghurts on the market, including many of the so-called natural kinds are loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Doctors at both Johns Hopkins, and Mayo Clinic are doing studies on this very ingredient, since as the use of high fructose corn syrup has expanded, so has the incidence of type two diabetes. The theory is that it is a contributing factor in the increase of the disease.
    Fructose does indeed occur naturally in fruits, but it is in small quantities and coupled with both enzymes to break if down in the body, and fiber to flush it through. Not so with manufactured HFCS.
    I would advise those of you who are concerned with your intake of carbs not to overlook this area.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Making homemade yoghurt is very easy and very satisfying. You can create as many flavours as you have imagination and best of all, you know what is in it. As a diabetic, one of the majour contributers to uncontrolled blood sugars is high fructose corn syrup. Because it is fructose, the body does not recognize it as sugar and so does not produce the insulin to process it. this results in extremely high blood sugar (this is also true for non-diabetics, though to a certain extent less obviously) Many of the yoghurts on the market, including many of the so-called natural kinds are loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Doctors at both Johns Hopkins, and Mayo Clinic are doing studies on this very ingredient, since as the use of high fructose corn syrup has expanded, so has the incidence of type two diabetes. The theory is that it is a contributing factor in the increase of the disease.
    Fructose does indeed occur naturally in fruits, but it is in small quantities and coupled with both enzymes to break if down in the body, and fiber to flush it through. Not so with manufactured HFCS.
    I would advise those of you who are concerned with your intake of carbs not to overlook this area.

I have heard about the danger of this "high fructose corn syrop" and if you look in the ingredients of most processed/ boxed foods it is the second ingredient. Thanks for reminding us!
  • tdroseler
    Options

I was wondering the same thing because I have only ever seen apple and cinnamon yogurt here in Aus!

actually i am from Manitoba, Canada...i had the apple cinnamon yogurt when i was visiting, in Alberta, Canada. Unfortunatly not all products are sold everywhere, that is a bummer.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few types of yogurt out there. There is the regular which is high in fat and calories. There is lowfat and fat free with tons of sugar. The one I always grab is the LIGHT which is usually between 80 and 100 calories, fat free and no sugar. Yoplay had a ton of different flavors out there in the light variety.