to eat or not to eat?

I have recently come down with a cold of some sort that is affecting my nasal and throat, and my appetite has pretty much vanished. I am only hungry a couple times a day, but after a few bites I already feel FULL, OVER FED. I am SO full and eating is just making me feel worse. I have had berries and 1/2 cup cottage cheese for breakfast, 8oz cup of coffee w/ only 1 tbsp of creamer, just had a steak and salad for lunch... and I feel AWFUL...

When its hard to eat BECAUSE you're sick, do you still try to fulfill your entire caloric intake?
Is it ever ok to go into "starvation" when it makes you feel worse to try and get reach your minimum?
Do you just eat what you can and wait it out?

I appreciate your opinions!

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    I myself am sick right now, no idea what's wrong but my throat has never hurt so much in my life. I don't even remember it hurting this much all the times I had strep as a kid.

Anyway, I haven't been working out all week, first time in a very long time, first time I've been sick in a very long time. Haven't really been hungry because I've been drinking over a gallon of water a day.

I have however, been meeting my base calories of 1660. I just have small meals with high but healthy calories. I still have 700 left for the day but it's only 5pm so I'll get them in.

Just do what you feel is right for you. Myself, I didn't want it to come to weigh in day and be down in weight because I hadn't eaten all week or I was dehydrated. Due to all the water and letting my body rest though, I'm feeling much better today, still not 100% but the throat isn't as sore and the headache from the sore throat isn't as bad today either.

Hope you feel better!
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Thanks! My base is 1200 and so far I'm at 853 - maybe it would help if I was eating small, high caloric meals... but I don't know what those are. Breakfast and lunch are averaging 200-250 and snacks are usually around 90, dinner usually closer to 400-450. But I feel like I am non-stop eating because it is ALOT of little things that their calories ADD UP to those amounts.

I hope you feel better too!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    I have a slice of all natural 100% whole grain toast with peanut butter, a banana on top and a glass of milk. Usually around 400-500, maybe more depending on what milk people have, how much peanut butter and what size banana.

Nuts are high calorie, a 1/4 of cashews is about 190, you could always do a protein shake with milk and put a tablespoon of olive oil in it ( you don't taste the oil) but it does add another 120 calories and is good for you fat =]
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Thanks for the ideas, that sounds easy enough to consume! :)
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    For anyone else interested, I'm not a big WebMD fan or anything just happen to find this. Sounds reasonable.
    http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/starve-cold-feed-fever
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Oh, and I would recommend staying away from dairy if you're congested. It will likely make the congestion worse. That's why you're supposed to have "clear" liquids. And try to drink as much water as you can, being hydrated will help your body function better.