Less Calories, no exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I have lost a great deal of weight not exercising - due to health issues and my limitations but would give a Shar-pei shivers to see the sags and bags that I have but it is possible to lose weight by just watching the calorie and your nutritional intake. Just remember that you dare not eat too little in calories due to the body going into that dreaded starvation mode. :flowerforyou:
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have also lost weight in the past by diet alone without exercising. Of course exercise helps, but you can do it on diet alone. It just takes longer to lose the weight.

I don't have much time for exercise either, but I squeeze in about 15-20 minutes each morning before getting ready for work and getting the baby ready. I also walk around the park near my work. I don't have time to go to the gym so I don't belong to one!
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I agree with the post that you exercise to look better naked. You want to tighten up not be skinny fat. IMO and my husband's too I am looking quite tight in the buff. I have dieted without exercise and I have gotten to a lower weight but I look so much better now. I got toned and I even fit in smaller pants! Explain that! So I would say if you want to keep it off exercise!!!!
  • eg872904
    eg872904 Posts: 11
    Options
    I started trying to lose weight last january (2010). I didn't start working out until March and stopped really working out around August (I, too, have no time). I've lost 64 lbs in a little over a year, so you definitely don't need to work out to lose weight. However, losing weight is easier when you work out. Exercising builds muscles which burns more calories and as you lose weight, your calorie requirement will go down too. I am currently having a hard time meeting my calorie goal just to lose 1 lb a week, so I've recently tried to start going back to the gym (to little avail) and I've been using my Wii fit (which doesn't burn a lot, but enough to maintain my goals). Working out doesn't have to be typical, gym workouts. Do something fun. Find workouts you can do at your desk, or try to schedule in 10 minutes here and there to try to get active. I've realized that I have more time than I previously thought, just by making sure to schedule workouts. If you have a droid, there is an app called "cardio trainer" that has a workout schedule that alerts you to remind you. Its a good app. Good luck!!! :happy:
  • jenellie
    jenellie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    someone on here said more calories burnt than in how do you figure out how many calories a day you burn? thanks
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have lost all the weight I wanted WITHOUT exercise. I just stay within my goals. Have been maintaining for 8 months.
    Too old to care what I look like naked. I look great in my clothes.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    the answer to your question is YES...you can lose weight without exercising. I lost my first 23ish pounds this year without exercise of any sort. I added exercise at that point because I wanted to enjoy the benefits that come along with exercise...but if we're strictly talking weight loss, you can accomplish that by simply creating a caloric deficit in the food that you eat.