Chocolate Milk?? Really?

Options
So I've read on here and a few other fourms that you should drink 8oz of chocolate milk post work out. Can anyone shed some light on why this is approprate? Should you do this after a very intense work out? What does it do for the body? What about all the sugar in the chocolate? Do you buy pre made or a bottle of chocolate syrup? Just curious. Thanks

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were on about chocolate flavour protein powder mixed with milk...
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    who said that? that doesn't sound like solid advice from anyone but maybe a six year old.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I have no idea. Never heard that. I would imagine they make their own with syrup though. The stuff already made in the bottle has SO much sugar in it, along with being high in calories. But I will admit, if I am hungry at night, sometimes I will make myself a small glass of chocolate milk:)
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    I've heard this a lot too. Something about something, it suppose to help you build your muscle by giving you back lost protien or something. I don't know.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have heard that. I think its a load of bologna :p Lol post workout should have protein and carbs (which chocolate milk has) but IMO i would go for something much better
  • rakelros
    rakelros Posts: 67
    Options
    Yea, I really cant recommend chocolate milk after workout.
    Chocolate protein in skim milk, I can, but not sugary chocolate milk...

Go Go Go, you can do it!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is proven to be the better post workout drink for longer workouts (2 hour runs etc). It is high in protein (milk) and the sugar and chocolate can give you the boost when you need it most. It is also taken into your body very quickly.

It is wide accepted in running circles and most other cardio-heavy sports, like cycling.
  • Hippopotoart
    Options
    It is supposedly an almost perfect balance of sugar, fat, vitamins, calcium and protein to help restore the bodies nutrients immediately after a work out. I would imagine it doesn't matter if it is prepared or homemade, but if you make it yourself you can control the amount of chocolate (and sugar) added, if that is a concern. It's fast and easy to grab or carry along which also makes it ideal.
    Pretty cool, huh!?
    I recently added it to my post work out diet!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    the chocolate milk is supposed to have the right balance between protiens and carbs needed after a workout.. i've tried it and it does help i'm usually not as sore post workout after drinking a lil choc milk
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it's true. Hippo is right! I swear!!!
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It's about the protein in the milk. After a hard workout your body needs it to build muscles (in a very slow way). Some use protein powder, some drink choc milk. At least that's what I have heard.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://uk.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/247_fitness_tip.html

Google is your friend. It is solid advice from non-six-year-olds. It has the right combination of the nutrients your body needs to build muscle.

I buy the ready made cartons of either Yazoo or Alpro soy - they're easier to transport and I can keep a carton in the car or my gym bag.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Yes, you heard correctly. I tried it for awhile (ONLY after my long runs), but went back to either some sort of whey protein smoothie or coconut water after an intense workout.

A couple of key paragraphs from the article below:

"Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy."

"A drink like chocolate milk is most useful to a cyclist, swimmer, or long-distance runner. These sports stress high endurance levels and constant, sustained movement. Competing athletes need high levels of calories, carbs, and protein to sustain that level of performance."

If you want to read the whole article, here you go...
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is proven to be the better post workout drink for longer workouts (2 hour runs etc). It is high in protein (milk) and the sugar and chocolate can give you the boost when you need it most. It is also taken into your body very quickly.

It is wide accepted in running circles and most other cardio-heavy sports, like cycling.
    Agree - what she said !
  • mrscone
    mrscone Posts: 17
    Options
    I have read reports that indicate chocolate milk is better for you post exercise than sports drinks. Just google it and you can find many articles with supporting documentation.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Because chocolate milk has almost a perfect 4:1 ratio. Carbs:protein. It is very widely accepted just ask any nutrionist
  • ChristineM79
    Options
    Drinking an 8oz glass of milk after a workout not only helps you keep hydrated, but milk is an excellent source of protein, which your muscles crave after a workout. The chocolate adds a few more calories and carbs also needed after a workout. The best is going to be a low fat chocolate milk. And only after a rigorous workout, not after just a little one. I found this link that can explain it better than I could. lol
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use Ovaltene...it has less sugar than Nesquick and Hershey's and I just like the taste better. I only use 1/3-1/2 the recommended serving also. PLUS, the promise of an ice-cold glass of chocolate milk is sometimes the only thing that motivates me to complete my run when my legs and lungs are dying...and I'm not a distance runner yet ;-)
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink Dark Chocolate Almond milk post workout.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink for cardio work outs exceeding 2 hours...it has a great balance of natural proteins and carbs...there is some scientific significance of the chocolate that speeds up muscle recovery but I cant recall.