Is having to "suck it in" a bit normal?

Options
I've always noticed that when i consciously stand with good posture and squeeze my tummy in a bit that I have a pretty good set of abs underneath, but if i just sit or stand normally I have a huge gut that hangs out a bit. Even back in H.S when i was 30 pounds lighter I still had this problem and I'm afraid i'll still have it once i reach my goal of losing that 30 extra pounds I've gained in college. What do you recommend I do so that I will have a more natural abdominal form without having to hold it in all the time?

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Make sure that when you are exercising that you are holding your stomach in. Make sure to keep your abs contracted while sucking in. That's the only thing I can think of is that you haven''t been doing that and your muscles have grown outward instead of inward....if that makes sense.
  • fatlass70
    fatlass70 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there

might be worth you trying to find a pilates class - pilates teaches you to build and strengthen your 'core' which includes your abdominals. The idea is that you teach your body how to work these muscles properly and when you switch them on. Once you have learned to switch them on, they then get into the habit of doing it without you being concious that you're doing it!!

Good luck