I had the best sandwich!!!! MMM!

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I made a panini out of the following:

1 ciabatta roll - The one I had was from stop n shop and was 120 calories, 1 g fat
2 slices of vine ripe tomato
1 oz of bottled roasted red peppers
1.25 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese - 100 cals, 8 g fat (I meant to slice a 1 oz piece but it ended up being about 1 1/4)
Sprinkle of Italian seasoning (I forgot to buy fresh basil)

THEN, I put it on the george foreman and it pressed it as good as any panini press would. It was brown and toasty on the outside and warm and melted inside!!

The total was 236 calories, 8 g fat and 10 g protein. Would have been a little less had I used only 1 oz instead of 1.25 ounces. Whatever!! hehe

If you want more fiber, then maybe use a whole wheat roll or bread of some sort. Also, you could add a little grilled chicken or any other kind of veggies! I am going to do this more often! I love paninis but never seem to find them healthy enough anywhere!

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    I made a panini out of the following:

1 ciabatta roll - The one I had was from stop n shop and was 120 calories, 1 g fat
    2 slices of vine ripe tomato
    1 oz of bottled roasted red peppers
    1.25 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese - 100 cals, 8 g fat (I meant to slice a 1 oz piece but it ended up being about 1 1/4)
    Sprinkle of Italian seasoning (I forgot to buy fresh basil)

THEN, I put it on the george foreman and it pressed it as good as any panini press would. It was brown and toasty on the outside and warm and melted inside!!

The total was 236 calories, 8 g fat and 10 g protein. Would have been a little less had I used only 1 oz instead of 1.25 ounces. Whatever!! hehe

If you want more fiber, then maybe use a whole wheat roll or bread of some sort. Also, you could add a little grilled chicken or any other kind of veggies! I am going to do this more often! I love paninis but never seem to find them healthy enough anywhere!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    That sounds so good!!

Can you make one for me?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    .......running out to the thrifty to buy a GF grill!!! woo hoo... that sounded yummy, although I can't manage to chew ciabatta bread.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yummy, I'm going to add that to my list of recipies....would put a nice spin on "soup and sandwhich night"
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sounds good overall. I would have to substitute the bread.

Ciabatta bread just end up a wad in the back of my throat and not in a good way. :bigsmile:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I still am betting you're Italian sis....LOL....

that sounds awesome, one of my fav sandwiches is similar....boccocini (fresh mozzarella balls), pesto, ripe roma tomatos, roasted red peppers, paper thin red onions, some italian seasoning or oregano and parsley salt and pepper and a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar....let it soak up a bit....then put it in really crusty Italian Spuckie roll w/ the middle pulled out and OMG....heaven! I pull out the middle part of the bread so its less calories...and the crusty gets all yummy w/ the marinade and filling..mmm

okay now I want one!

hugs and I'm sooo trying your version!
    Ali :tongue:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    .......running out to the thrifty to buy a GF grill!!! woo hoo... that sounded yummy, although I can't manage to chew ciabatta bread.

I love my GF grill. I use it for burgers of course, but whenever I make some kind of wrap like a burrito or chicken shawarma (middle eastern food) I use the grill to "seal" the wrap since I suck at folding tortillas so that they stay together.

Little tip, just don't use it for "fishy" smelling fish....my aunt did once and no matter how much she cleans it, everytime she turns it on it smells like fish.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Sounds good overall. I would have to substitute the bread.

Ciabatta bread just end up a wad in the back of my throat and not in a good way. :bigsmile:

LOL! Yeah, it can do that!

But just use whatever bread or rolls you like. Just adjust the calories accordingly. :)
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I still am betting you're Italian sis....LOL....

that sounds awesome, one of my fav sandwiches is similar....boccocini (fresh mozzarella balls), pesto, ripe roma tomatos, roasted red peppers, paper thin red onions, some italian seasoning or oregano and parsley salt and pepper and a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar....let it soak up a bit....then put it in really crusty Italian Spuckie roll w/ the middle pulled out and OMG....heaven! I pull out the middle part of the bread so its less calories...and the crusty gets all yummy w/ the marinade and filling..mmm

okay now I want one!

hugs and I'm sooo trying your version!
    Ali :tongue:

Mmm yours sounds great too! I love pesto and red peppers, italian seasoning! YUM! And fresh mozzarella is so dang good!

I have been wanting to try using my GF for this but hadn't yet and decided today was the day!! LOL! And it turned out great! Mmm, imagine this sandwich with some Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque!!! :wink: :wink: Now that sounds like a Ali/Tam meal!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

HUGS! :heart: :heart:
    -Tam
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    mmmmmm- want it!
  • TamTastic
    Options

I use my GF at least twice a week! I LOVE it! I make everything on it. And it doubles as a panini press...perfect! :wink:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    That sounds so good!!

Can you make one for me?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I would but it would be a bit stale by the time it got to you!! :wink: :laugh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    OH YUM!!!! Sounds delish! I love saving your ideas in my favorites! YUM!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    OH YUM!!!! Sounds delish! I love saving your ideas in my favorites! YUM!
    Thanks!! I love knowing I give good ideas!!