DId not eat all my Excecise calories-

Options
I earned 760 calories yesterday- but didnt eat them all- only about 200 of them-

If I workout at night, earning calories, should I eat them that night or can I eat them the next day?
I dont like to eat calories ahead of excercise in case I crap out on my workout and without the calories burned then I end up with too many.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I earned 760 calories yesterday- but didnt eat them all- only about 200 of them-

If I workout at night, earning calories, should I eat them that night or can I eat them the next day?
    I dont like to eat calories ahead of excercise in case I crap out on my workout and without the calories burned then I end up with too many.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
  • nas12
    nas12 Posts: 2
    Options
    it best not to eat them you will lose more weight
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options

Actually, there are a lot of posts on here that say otherwise. Most people say that you MUST eat your exercise calories.

goochinator, I'm not sure if you can "roll over" exercise calories from day to day - I would just eat them as used daily. Personally, I probably wouldn't eat your extra 560 from yesterday, but I'm no doctor. :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Umm no--sorry but the whole basis for MFP is to show you that NOT eating your exercise calories is unhealthy and can be dangerous. YOu have a deficit built in already, so not eating them drops you too low and can cause damage to your body.

You should try to plan out your daily meals and exercise ahead of time so you won't get caught with calories you need to eat too late at night. It will give you an incentive to make sure you exercise, too!
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options

not true!!!! You need to eat them! read the posts on here from banks and others about eating your exercise calories (I bumped some of them earlier today)
    ... it is important to eat them (not to mention rewarding).. :happy:

don't have an answer for you tho on when to eat them... I have the same problem, most of my workouts are late (after the kiddies are in bed) and then I'm left with calories to eat... I try a bowl of cereal or something, but I don't like to go to bed with all of those carbs / calories left in my tummy...

anyone know if they can be 'saved' for later, and if so, how long we can wait to eat them?? :huh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    And no--don't carry over calories. doesn't work that way.
  • barefootfairy19
    Options
    Hi Im a noob on here and I want to know what you all are talking about ..as far as the excersice calories. I also have a question? And you all seem to know alot so, when is the best time to exercise? should I eat at all after I excercise? or before? how late is to late to exercise? or if I do it to early like at 6ish in the morning will it make a difference because I eat after that?? AHHHHH so many questions lol
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I tend to disagree with this...The body doesn't have a on/off/restart/shut-down mechanism that causes us to start at zero daily at a certain time....it is always functioning at some level. In nursing school, we were taught that a general 3 day cycle was a good basis for nutrient intake. The food you ate yesterday probably won't show up on the scale for 2-3 days. That is why it's recommended to weigh weekly.
    that's why you can pig out friday night and not see it saturday....eat well sunday and see friday's food on monday.....

And depending when the exercise was done during the day, your body's base metabolism is elevated for a period of time afterwards....depending on the intensity/duration of the exercise.
    Because you bike so hard and long...you are probably at a point where you could cut back to just a few times per week and still lose, or at the very least maintain.:flowerforyou:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I just bumped up a post for newbies really read the posts they are very informitive and can answer your questions. :drinker:
  • shorerider
    Options

I tend to disagree with this...The body doesn't have a on/off/restart/shut-down mechanism that causes us to start at zero daily at a certain time....it is always functioning at some level. In nursing school, we were taught that a general 3 day cycle was a good basis for nutrient intake. The food you ate yesterday probably won't show up on the scale for 2-3 days. That is why it's recommended to weigh weekly.
    that's why you can pig out friday night and not see it saturday....eat well sunday and see friday's food on monday.....

And depending when the exercise was done during the day, your body's base metabolism is elevated for a period of time afterwards....depending on the intensity/duration of the exercise.
    Because you bike so hard and long...you are probably at a point where you could cut back to just a few times per week and still lose, or at the very least maintain.:flowerforyou:

The danger in doing this is that some have come on MFP and asked about pretty much starving or close to it one day (or two or three) so they then can pig out. Thus, the thinking not to carry over calories.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to be working out at 5:30pm every evening, so I record my exercise first thing in the morning, and eat my calories accordingly through the day and record those as I go along. If I exercised MORE at workout, I adjust it in the diary after the fact. I try to stay a little low during the day so that if for some unforeseen reason I can't work out, I won't have maxed my day out.

Eat your exercise calories. They stand between you and bottoming out on energy and starvation mode. If it weren't for exercise calories, I wouldn't be bothering to do any of this. I like the wiggle room I have being able to eat them. It makes me feel like I am not even dieting. My coworkers are amazed that I am constantly eating something every 2.5 hours yet I'm losing weight. Exercise calories allow me to have things like sour cream on my baked potato and a scoop of sherbert after dinner or a square of chocolate.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

The danger in doing this is that some have come on MFP and asked about pretty much starving or close to it one day (or two or three) so they then can pig out. Thus, the thinking not to carry over calories.

I agree that it's dangerous to starve one day to pig out the next, but I carry over my exercise calories to the next day if I exercise late. I don't always know when I'm going to be able to burn those calories, so I figure if I eat them within 24 hours of burning them, I'm fine. I usually end up eating something small before bed to keep my metabolism up during the night. I would try it and see how it works. Our bodies don't "start over" in the morning when you wake up so you should be fine. Especially if you do it consistently and eat your calories the next day and then burn more the following evening. If you need to change it up, you'll know after a week or so. Keep trying different things to see what works best for you and your body. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi Im a noob on here and I want to know what you all are talking about ..as far as the excersice calories. I also have a question? And you all seem to know alot so, when is the best time to exercise? should I eat at all after I excercise? or before? how late is to late to exercise? or if I do it to early like at 6ish in the morning will it make a difference because I eat after that?? AHHHHH so many questions lol

It has been advised to do cardio on an empty stomach and strength training after having eaten something. I have no prob eating oatmeal with fruit and then an hour later, pumping those weights. Some people need to wait longer or eat lightly and finish the rest after exercise. Before cardio, such as a run I will ear 1/2 protein bar so my stomach doesn't growl or if you can handle a small banana with PB
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify- I wasnt referring to a "Pig Out" but more like a day when I'm hungrier- like today- worked out hard last night, today I'm just really hungry....
    I'm not about to starve and pig out, no way.

Thanks for all the input!!