Polar A5 HRM?

Options
I have the chance to buy a Polar A5 heart rate monitor from a lady on craigslist. She said it needs a new battery though. Does anyone have a Polar A5 HRM? Do you like it? Where could I buy a new battery for it and how much does a new battery cost? Also how long does a battery generally last?Thanks.

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I have the chance to buy a Polar A5 heart rate monitor from a lady on craigslist. She said it needs a new battery though. Does anyone have a Polar A5 HRM? Do you like it? Where could I buy a new battery for it and how much does a new battery cost? Also how long does a battery generally last?Thanks.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I checked it out on Amazon--looks like it's an older model. Also beware as this reviewer states the strap must be replaced when the battery dies. If so, the straps run towards $50 or so.

Review cut-n-pasted from Amazon.com below

First off, I want to say this HRM has been with me for a few years, and has rarely let me down. If you want to see your heart rate the Polar A5 does it.

Issues I have... the watch only lets you see one important stat at a time, either heart rate, stopwatch, or time of day. Most other watches in this price range have the option of putting at least two of these on the display at once. The strap needs to be replaced when the batteries run out. Nowadays straps should be battery-replacable. If you separate the watch from the chest strap for a few minutes while working out (like when I put the watch on my bike on long rides) the HRM will refuse to pick the signal up again when you get back to your workout, needing you to restart the whole monitoring session.

I'm going to try one of the Timex watches. My Polar A5 served me well, but it's just out of date and overpriced.
  • FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    Thanks. I checked it out on Amazon too. Doesn't look like something I want to buy. I really want to buy a HRM but I do not have a ton of $$ to spend on one. Any suggestions on what features to look for? Have you heard anything about the Nike Imara (I think that is what it is called)?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    No but if you do a search on the Boards for "Heart Rate Monitor" or for "HRM," you'll see tons of information about them that might help.

Just stay away from the Highgear Duo--I bought one because it was cheap and it was! Ended up getting refunded and buying a Polar.