Compression Socks?

Options
Hey Runners!

I'm a beginner runner, on week 4 of Couch 2 5k. I am prone to shin splints, if I push myself too much, my shins flare up. Arch support insoles seem to help, and I need to make sure I don't thump my feet down when I run. Does anyone know anything about compression socks? What do they do, do they help, etc.

Any help/advice would be very appreciated!

Replies

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    my hubby wears compression socks for his veins. The improve blood flow back up the legs, I don't think this help with shin splints but i don't know for sure.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Complression socks are though to return oxygen to the muscles faster to increase endurance. I think it's more of a personal thing as to whether or not they actually work. For me, they've never helped with shin splints. They do help prevent varicose veins and help circulation in diabetic patients.

As for the pain, try to increase your potassium intake through veggies and fruits. I would also try a good running shoe - and I mean, go to a running store that specializes in running shoes and get a proper fitting. I use to swear by Nike's and then I got fitted for some Brooks and I will never run in a pair of Nike's again. My shin splints are completely gone too.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    They help prevent the swelling that occurs which cause minor injuries. Personally, I think they are garbage. Biggest part of running is in the shoes. Insoles are great but you need a good shoe to go with it. A good shoe means it prevents splints.

A lot of people go out and buy shoes because of reviews or price. Here's the thing, every foot is different. A shoe is fitted by your arch (Low, High, Medium) , run mechanics (i.e. pronating), pressure balance, and weight. If you really start running more than 5 miles a week, you need to get fitted for a shoe.

You can google road runner sports and use the shoe dog at a minimum.

Hope this helps.
  • kevweath
    kevweath Posts: 6
    Options
    Think about the shoe and your mechanics... you may be creating more impact that you should based on your stride/how many steps you are taking per minute. For example, too much bounce will slow you down and can add some unneeded jarring to your legs.
  • Gazzaway
    Gazzaway Posts: 13
    Options
    Never read/heard of any sock helping with shin splints. If your s/s are really bad when you run, try wearing the neoprene shin sleeves. Toe raises also help build the muscle in your shins and will help alleviate s/s. Just like poustotah wrote...find the right running shoe. I wore Nike's as well, until I was fitted for running shoes and discovered that Mizunos are my flavor! Brooks, asics, saucony are a few great running shoes too. You should have your gait (over/under/normal pronate) analyzed before you buy a good pair of shoes first. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Happy Running!

BG