Sugar free suggestions anyone...?

Options
bbush18
bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
I've been noticing a trend...people talking about sugar, asking what's good for them, what's not...the different kinds of sugar, so on and so forth. But I need some suggestions on sugar free or low sugar foods, not candy...my sugar intake seems to pretty high on most days and that's really the only thing i seem to go over. And I eat as healthy as my wallet allows me!! Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    well some of my snacks included sugar free vanilla pudding cups( 60 cal) or sugar free chocolate pudding cups (80 cal) or i got the 100 cal cookies , 90 calorie fiber bars and 100 cal popcorn. And fruit that has natural sugar in it....
  • tiny_worm
    tiny_worm Posts: 11
    Options
    I go over my sugar limit everyday too, but that's okay, because I pretty much get all of it naturally from fruits and vegs. Don't know what part of your diet causes you to go over, but as long as it's good food and in appropriate portions, don't worry too much about it. You will get naturally occurring sugar in diary products like yogurt and milk, but they are good for you. Same for the sugar in grains like pasta and rice. Preferrably these should be whole wheat, but even if they are not, the sugar content, most of it glucose, is better than many other artificial sweeteners, which contain either sucrose or high fructose corn syrup.

I haven't read the posts, but my guess is sucrose and high fructose corn syrup are generally considered bad in dieting and one should avoid these at all cost. The first is your typical refined white table sugar, composed of 45% glucose and 55% fructose, and the second is composed of 1/2 glucose and 1/2 fructose. Doesn't matter. Chemically and metabolically they are the same, and will damage your health inthe same way. This is not only for people trying to lose weight, but for normal diets as well, eliminating sugar and sodium from cooking will do you a world of good.

Now in terms of replacing sugar with wholesome foods, I suggest anything that's natural and fruity! The substance that makes them sweet is fructose, but because in fruits it always comes with plenty of fiber, high water content and many valuable micro-nutrients, you can't go wrong with 2-3 portions a day. If having them as snacks won't appease your sugar cravings, having honey once in a while is actually really good for you as well. Try to get this in organic form.

But definitely, try and try and try to avoid any processed sweets, even home baked foods or homecooked meals with added table sugar are not so good. Try going without any added sugar for one week, and if you can take that I'm sure your sugar cravings will lessen and you will feel a lot better.
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you're making things that call for sugar, try using a natural sugar, like Truvia. I love that stuff! Otherwise, read labels - my shopping trips take about 3 times longer because I have to compare EVERYTHING lol
  • Leahcutie
    Leahcutie Posts: 24
    Options
    I have just started eating those sugar-free jello cups. They only 10 calories and are pretty good. I hope this helps. If I come across anything else, I will post it to you.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know that sugar is sugar and that it affects the body in the same way, but I don't mind going over my sugar allowance as long as the sugar comes from clean foods like fruits and veges. I used to drink regular milk and didn't mind the sugar but then I found unsweetened almond milk which has no sugar.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    For ordinary sweetening, I use honey. I use less to get the same result.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i tried looking at your diary but it isnt open for public viewing. Maybe you could looka nd see where the sugar is actually coming from. If it is fruit then you will usually go over if you have 2 pieces of fruit. If it is from processed foods/sweets may need to cut down on them
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Stay away from chemical sweetners! Want to know why? ...Then go to YouTube- Sweet Deception! Everyone should watch this!

Otherwise, use Stevia in the Raw! Zero cal, all natural...Awesome! I use it in my green tea everyday! I put it into my oatmeal every mornig! And I use the liquid stevia, vanilla creme, in plain greek yogurt and coffee! It's natural and easy! Can be pricey but it really last along time. But it's worth it when the weight comes melting off!

My latest trick is substituting Asparagus for your veggies. It has Zero sugar and is high in fiber which makes you feel super full!

Good Luck!