Ultramarathon Walk

Options
My goal, and I didn't find a place to mention this on my home page, is to eventually walk an ultramarathon. I am 41 (according to the site calendar) and want to be able to do it before or during my 45th year.

Does anyone know of any good sites or groups dedicated to that sort of thing?

This is the first time I've ever shared this aspiration with anyone so don't laugh at me. Before looking just now I was not even sure if walking the course was considered good form or quietly frowned upon. Apparently it's acceptable.

So, an ultramarathon within 4 years. Anyone want to join me? If there's not an event near enough, we'll make our own.

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think that's an amazing goal! Good luck to you! Looking at your profile I have no doubt that you will be successful.
    :flowerforyou:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    halhigdon.com has a plan for every step of the way. i'm 41 also and hope to do the same, but not sure of the timeframe.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    How far an ultra? Technically anything over 26.2 miles is considered an ultra. At the bottom end of the spectrum is the 50K (31 miles) which is essentially a marathon on steroids (training is really the same as marathon trainings). I ran one (trained for it by running a marathon a couple weeks before).

After that, the normal distances are 50 miles, 100k (62 miles) and the 100 miles. These a different kind of beast (I've yet to try a 50 miler). There are also some non-standard distance races out there. You can also find times race (6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour). I have a crazy friend who ran a 72 hour race!

Also, lots of ultras take place on the trails, so terrain can be from flat to serious mountain goat type terrain.

here is a great resource: http://www.run100s.com/
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A couple more comments: as walker, you may have issue with course cutoffs, some races stop slower runners at certain points along the course if they aren't keeping a minimum pace.

A timed event or multiloop course might work best as a walker.
  • Escultor
    Escultor Posts: 64
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for encouragement and for the information.

ARC, I had not thought about time cut-offs. Racing bicycles that was never an issue, so not even a concept that had occurred to me.

So, this may seem aggressive in planning but what if I set myself a goal of a marathon walk by the end of this calendar year. It doesn't seem too difficult to me, actually though I've never done it.

Next year a 50k.

2013: 50 miles.

2014: 100k

If nothing else, I want to have done some sort of significant century on foot by the time I have reached a half century in years.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Google rachel carson challenge. Its a hike near Pittsburgh, PA(not sure where you are from) that is 34 miles & you have sunrise to sunset on the saturday closest to the 1st day of summer to complete. I have a few friends who have done it. It is very tough to get in to register though.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Ill run it. It is also a goal of mine(same with a half iron man) so friend me and keep me posted!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    I am taking part in the "Trailwalker Gurka Challenge 2011" across the South Downs in England July. 100K in 30 hours! Gotta step up the training, but looking forward to it, very much. Good luck with whatever you plan. This walk is the reason I decided I needed to lose a few pounds, and feel much better for it
  • Escultor
    Options
    I'd like to to the Dartmoor Challenge. That won't happen though. When in the UK, we go straight to the North.
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just want to also say, I have always wanted to do the same, and I understand the whole trepidation of admitting it! I'm excited to look up all the information on the races and training!
  • Escultor
    Options
    Haha! Sphinctress, we'll see you there - somewhere.

This has been such a great decision for me. It's not just about health now, it's a milestone with social aspects. Many benefits.