Polar heart Rate Monitors

Options
I have a Polar F6- all the info on it is current. I noticed that the elliptcal I use has a built in Polar Monitor so it often picks up my HR on it.( Elliptical also has weight/age entered) While the heart rate is usually very accurate, the calorie counting is sometimes way off- like 30 calories or so...seems to be geting worse -( used to be 15 cals off, then 20- now about 30 off) I've had the Polar about 1 month, so I know its not breaking down or anything.
Which coutn should I use? I've been going halfway for now.

Any suggestions?
And for the record, no, I'm not really THAT concerned with an extra 30 calories, but more curious than anything.
Thanks!

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6- all the info on it is current. I noticed that the elliptcal I use has a built in Polar Monitor so it often picks up my HR on it.( Elliptical also has weight/age entered) While the heart rate is usually very accurate, the calorie counting is sometimes way off- like 30 calories or so...seems to be geting worse -( used to be 15 cals off, then 20- now about 30 off) I've had the Polar about 1 month, so I know its not breaking down or anything.
    Which coutn should I use? I've been going halfway for now.

Any suggestions?
    And for the record, no, I'm not really THAT concerned with an extra 30 calories, but more curious than anything.
    Thanks!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I would go with the HRM. I have the same model and the calories that I burn doing the same cardio dvd change on some days, but I think I must not be working as hard as usual, but I always use the HRM numbers.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Have you kept the informatoin up to date as far as weight?

Could it be simply that you're getting "fitter" so are burning less calories for the same amount of work?
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Gooch - many times the machines are programmed for average size/weight people...not sure of your HRM, but my Polar RS400 has me put in my vitals...height, weight, age, etc. As such, it is personalized to my body and therefore what my caloric burn is most likely to be. I too would go with your HRM. And Rider is correct...you have to keep updating your information so it calculates correctly...and with your loss...wow! Fantastic...and you sure need to make sure your HRM is current.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I just got an F6 and I swear it is way off. I wore it for a little over 22 hours on a slow day and it said I burned over 3000 calories. Tonight I wore it for the first time exercising and it claims I burned 429 calories on the treadmill 15% incline and 3.5 mph. The machine also reads my heart rate from the monitor and said I only burned 359 calories. There is just no way I burned over 400 calories. I am going to give it one more shot and if it come out way too high again I am sending it back. :( I was really looking foward to getting it too.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    Good thing I found this thread! I was trying to find the name of the monitor people were talking about a few weeks ago! And this is it!

I would take it back and get a new one, not everything is manufactured correctly.

Thanks!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I was about to order one a few nights ago....and I got totally overwhelmed on which to get....one of our pals here suggested a polar....he has a polar F11 I think....and that looked good.....I'm just afraid cuz I'm sooo techie challenged it will be to much to deal w/ I just want to know what I"m burning....basically that's it......any suggestions?:ohwell: ............I still may get that one...we'll see...

lol hugs!
    Ali
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I just got an F6 and I swear it is way off. I wore it for a little over 22 hours on a slow day and it said I burned over 3000 calories. Tonight I wore it for the first time exercising and it claims I burned 429 calories on the treadmill 15% incline and 3.5 mph. The machine also reads my heart rate from the monitor and said I only burned 359 calories. There is just no way I burned over 400 calories. I am going to give it one more shot and if it come out way too high again I am sending it back. :( I was really looking foward to getting it too.

Are you sure it's that off? How long did you work out? Seems reasonable to me, or did you mean a 1.5% incline? The more you weigh the more you burn so I don't see why 400 burned is so questionable! Fill me in!! :flowerforyou:

Heidi
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

How long were you on the treadmill? I have the F6 and I love it. I still underestimate my calories burned when I long them in though just to be safe. I have never worn mine all day so I don't know what a 22 hour read would be. Pending your weight and how long you have been on an exercise routine it may be accurate.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    How long were you on the treadmill? I do 3.5MPH...and to get my heart rate into my various zones...I go from the 11degrees to 13 degrees incline (so less than you) and in 1/2 hour (30 minutes) i am usually around the low 300 cals (300-330). Having said that, my heart rate would usually then be between 133 to 150...if you go above that, longer, and because you are at 15 degrees it could be over 400 cals you are showing.

Again...I have the RS400 so it's a bit different model.