Calorie watch only (no excercise, no clean foods), weight lo

Options
2»

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If it helps (my friends used to laugh at me)... When i was choosing my class schedule, I would pull out an excel spreadsheet. On it, I would put in the classes I HAD to take. Then I would schedule in the workout classes I wanted to take. THEN, I would schedule in the "fluff" classes. Sometimes, I was able to make it where I would have 1 long day and have a full day off during the week. It just takes a little time to sit down and plan it out. Personally, I would rather be at school all day one day, than have to go in for an hour or 2 (or worse - have a long break between classes. UGH!). I realize 1L you don't have that option. But... something to think about for 2L and 3L.

As for eating right (time to cook, shop, etc.)... One thing I found helpful was to "double or triple up" on anything I made (then I could just re-heat the leftovers the next day). Here's a sample (remember, you can freeze leftovers so you aren't having chicken 5 days in a row):

A big steak (or a whole chicken) & veggies can last a few different days/ways.

Meal 1: Make a big steak with veggies and potato(es) - chop up extra veggies and put in baggies for snacking
    Meal 2: Leftover steak & veggies/potato
    Meal 3: Grilled Chicken (or steak) Salad - taco salad, chicken salad with low fat mayo, lots of options.
    Meal 4: Steak/chicken soup (beef broth, leftover steak/chicken chunks, carrots, celery, onion, spices - potato or rice can be added)

Make a big (9x12) veggie lasagna. Cut up 1/2 into individual portions and freeze. Eat the rest throughout the week.

If it's just you, don't be afraid to buy Lean Cuisine's in bulk (our Kroger has great sales occassionally). Yes, they are high in sodium, but they are great for single portion servings.

Sandwiches can be great - just use a good quality whole wheat bread you like and fill it full of veggies and "real" meat (not the processed cra... err... stuff.)
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    Oh the veggie lasagna sounds good and I could reheat stuff at my school (we have microwaves). Thanks! We'll be picking classes soon so I am hoping to have a better schedule right now I have 8ams to 12:30 and then again at 3:50 with half hour seminars in between so the whole day is scattered
  • krishildy
    krishildy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the same thing myself, and I ended up gaining weight (albeit slowly) -- I couldn't figure out why. Then after I joined MFP and read up on some of the information here, I realized my body had gone into starvation mode. So I would seriously try to be more attentive to what kind of calories I was eating, and for sure get some exercise in to tone things up. Best of luck on your journey.
  • econista
    econista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    SO
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes. A calorie is a calorie, however as you brought up taking things such as sodium, carb intake, blah blah blah can be useful and beneficial to your health. Like you I am a busy student and I'm working so I don't have time to sit there and monitor my protein/carb/sodium etc. I just want to count calories, period. The only risk you're running long term is, if you tend to eat a lot of high sodium foods like fast food (like me) then you run the risk of high blood pressure, etc....so, theoretically even though you're dropping pounds it could still be detrimental to your health. Overall I say, don't worry about it too much now. Just start counting calories and in time....other good habits will follow.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Did you know that doing a little exercise can help you concentrate better for school? You just need 15 minutes a day. That's not a life change :) It's also not a life change to add a salad to that pizza, or skip the cheese in your hamburguer.
    You'll lose weight because you'll lose muscle, but you probably won't lose fat.
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    @CalPolyBronco I wasn't sure what the detrimental effects of the sodium were I'll start watching that more I know my dad is obsessed with it.

@azuleean To be fair, my first post didn't say everything really - it's not like I gorge myself with pizza and burgers everyday. I don't drink anything but water and coffee - I hate soda or sugary drinks and I love salads and veggie sides. But for example I love gorgonzola cheese on my salad and a lot of it so as long as I stay in calories I don't skimp out of it I would hate eating just leaves and when my roommates make pizza I have a slice and add it to calories (but not more than 2 slices). Or I may make tater tots from Trader Joes 10/190 cals later at night when I want to snack on something fast b/c I'm still studying. I do try to keep it healthy but I don't think it lives up to the advice on MFP which I think is more lifestyle change. I do need to exercise though :/