Pregnant women need to stay trim too!

Options
Would love to onlt gain the 25 pounds the reccommend! It would be great to be able to know how many cal, fats, proteins etc. a pg woman! I love MFP and would love to keep using it during my pregnancy! Help!

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Generally, once pregnant you should set your goals to maintenance in the beginning. Then, in the 2nd and third trimesters, to gain a bit. It's best to talk to your doc about exactly how many cals you need and any specific needs you might have for macros (protein/fat/carbs.)

This site has some good general info about diet/exercise during pregnancy. Good luck to you!

http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yeah it would be nice to have a tool for pregnant women too. That way you would know, but I suppose like each person, each baby will also be different.

It would also be cool if you could count breastfeeding for burning cals. I've read that you can burn anywhere from 300-600 depending on how long/often you feed your baby.

Congrats! I hope your little one brings a lot of joy!
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Yeah it would be nice to have a tool for pregnant women too. That way you would know, but I suppose like each person, each baby will also be different.

It would also be cool if you could count breastfeeding for burning cals. I've read that you can burn anywhere from 300-600 depending on how long/often you feed your baby.

You can count breastfeeding for burning calories, I log mine every day.
  • joscerelle
    Options
    I just had a baby two months ago and only gained 15 pounds; losing all of it within 24 hours of giving birth. Before you do anything talk to your doctor. He/She will tell you what's healthy and what isn't. Trying to lose weight during this time of your life isn't the right way to go.

During your first trimester you're probably going to get really hungry and want a nap all the time. It's such a drag! My personal suggestion is to listen to your stomach and eat whenever it tells you to, otherwise you're going to be miserable. However! Eat carrots, grapes, bananas, celery, light and fit yogurt etc. etc., and try to drink at least 48oz of water a day (water will help in your third trimester and keep you from bed rest). That will help curb your apatite and fill you up with healthy foods.

After you give birth I suggest you breastfeed. That will help you lose the baby weight fast and it's so good for the baby! Training both yourself and the baby to breastfeed is difficult, but it's important to keep at it and have patience. You won't regret breastfeeding one bit!
  • mytwobabies
    mytwobabies Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    During my first pregnancy I took a water areobics class and it kept me pretty fit and felt great to be light in the water. Just a thought :)
  • amandaroland80
    amandaroland80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was always told you should add 300 calories per day per fetus. I'm hoping MFP will add a pregnancy mode soon too because my hubby and I are planning to try for baby #2 in the fall and it would be so nice to be able to still use MFP during the entire pregnancy. Good Luck to you!!
  • amandaroland80
    amandaroland80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    During my first pregnancy I took a water areobics class and it kept me pretty fit and felt great to be light in the water. Just a thought :)

I teach water aerobics daily and it is soooo good for you especially during pregnancy. When I was pregnant, I always felt better after I got out of the pool, especially during the last trimester, and it will help with swelling in ways you would not believe!
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options

You can count breastfeeding for burning calories, I log mine every day.

i can vouch for the fact that she does! it comes up on my feed every day and its pretty impressive. lol
  • NavyWifeag
    NavyWifeag Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Unless your like me and don't loose weight at all while breastfeeding. Great bonding though! MFP will be great for tracking your food. Don't worry about your cals too much, just track what you're eating to make sure it's healthy and not to salty or sugary. Salty food made me swell like no other. I worked out my entire pregnancy with my daughter and it was a lot better pregnancy.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I was always told you should add 300 calories per day per fetus. I'm hoping MFP will add a pregnancy mode soon too because my hubby and I are planning to try for baby #2 in the fall and it would be so nice to be able to still use MFP during the entire pregnancy. Good Luck to you!!

This is a little inaccurate. First, it depends on your BMI to start. If you are overweight or obese, you'll need to gain less than someone who is a healthy weight; or someone who is underweight may need to gain more. So that will impact how many extra cals are needed at any point. Also, you really don't need to increase cals at all during the first trimester (unless you have multiples or are underweight and then that's a question for your doc.) First trimester should usually just be at maintenance cals.

But during 2nd and 3rd trimesters, about 300 cals for a single is about right for most women in the healthy/overweight categories.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    It depends on your current weight - definitely check with your doctor. When I was pregnant with my son (8 years ago!), under my dr's supervision, I maintained my weight (mommy weight going to baby weight, she always said) until about the last 6 weeks. I only gained 8 lbs, including a 7 lb baby :)
  • jaia07
    jaia07 Posts: 22
    Options
    I think you could definitely still use MFP while pregnant... just set it to maintenence, and then add around 300 more calories per day. Lots of women totally overeat and think it's an all-you-can eat buffet free-for-all while you're pregnant, but this isn't the case. In reality, a small snack and a glass of milk will satiate your extra caloric needs. I had a baby January 31st, and gained 25 pounds total. 10 weeks later and I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight. Good luck :)
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Wow! you did great loosing that weight!
    How do I set my MFP to maintenence setting?
  • wyomingmama
    Options
    I think you could definitely still use MFP while pregnant... just set it to maintenence, and then add around 300 more calories per day. Lots of women totally overeat and think it's an all-you-can eat buffet free-for-all while you're pregnant, but this isn't the case. In reality, a small snack and a glass of milk will satiate your extra caloric needs. I had a baby January 31st, and gained 25 pounds total. 10 weeks later and I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight. Good luck :)
  • wyomingmama
    Options
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Go to Settings, Update Diet/Fitness Profile and choose Maintain my currect weight under "What is your goal?"
  • wyomingmama
    Options

Go to Settings, Update Diet/Fitness Profile and choose Maintain my currect weight under "What is your goal?"

Thanks! I will try it!
  • kaceyruth
    Options
    We would also love to see a feature that helps keep you on track-though understand that everyone will be different.