HRM affected by lamps, telephones and laptop computers?

Options
Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I bought a New Balance N4 heart rate monitor today designed for women.
I've been wearing it this evening to try it out before my workout tomorrow and felt that the readings were pretty accurate based on random pulse checks. Then I was working on the laptop and I noticed that my heart rate was supposedly 263. Obviously I checked and it was nothing of the kind. I moved away from the laptop and the monitor resumed a normal reading. Then my son and I started testing it out by putting the watch close to a lamp, the landline telephone and the television set, and every one of these things sent the readings up into the 200+ range. If it's not a defect in the watch, it seems like they might want to include an advisory with the watch and chest strap because it could be scary, especially if you're a person with cardiac issues trying to monitor for SVT (superventricular tachycardia) for instance.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That's normal. The signal from the heart sensor to the watch can be affected by other close by electromagnetic signals. Running under power lines can sometimes cause the same thing.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Normal occurrence. It happens too when I'm in the car and it's too close to the gauges. My alarm keeps going off telling me I WAY above my target zone at 225 beats per minute. lol
  • livingfitwithlori
    livingfitwithlori Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same hrm, and have noticed a 200+ reading in my car on the way to the gym. I had no idea why! Must be my radio?
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Anything wireless can be affected like that. I once had a wireless computer on my bicycle that was affected by stop light sensors. I could be standing still at a red light and the computer showed me going 76 mph. I mean, I'm good, but not THAT good!! LOL!!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    thanks for the comments. Makes sense now.
    However.....it may help others to understand why they're getting some very high calories burned readings when they don't feel like they worked that hard..........depending on where they're working out.
    I'm excited to try it out at the gym tomorrow, but I'm definitely going to stay away from the phones! LOL