Heavy Lift-Light Lift...

Options
2»

Replies

• damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Great information... I lift Heavy 5 days a week. Recently I decided to get more informed about what I thought was HIT Training... I was doing 25 minutes of fast paced Cardio (5k in under 24 minutes), followed immediately by 3 sets of 10 (last set to failure when possible), on larger type exercises first like bench press, then individual muscles like triceps for the remainder of my workout until I reach 60 minutes or 850 calories, whichever comes first.

Turns out that although this is a great workout, it is a bit intense for what HIT is suppose to be. I tried doing 2 sets of 10 instead today with even heavier weights... kept my cardio the same and burned even more calories. I also feel stronger afterward and a bit more sore due to the heavier weights.

I think this might be the way to go. :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Great information... I lift Heavy 5 days a week. Recently I decided to get more informed about what I thought was HIT Training... I was doing 25 minutes of fast paced Cardio (5k in under 24 minutes), followed immediately by 3 sets of 10 (last set to failure when possible), on larger type exercises first like bench press, then individual muscles like triceps for the remainder of my workout until I reach 60 minutes or 850 calories, whichever comes first.

Turns out that although this is a great workout, it is a bit intense for what HIT is suppose to be. I tried doing 2 sets of 10 instead today with even heavier weights... kept my cardio the same and burned even more calories. I also feel stronger afterward and a bit more sore due to the heavier weights.

I think this might be the way to go. :)

Check out The Bear. it is one of the Crossfit WOD's.
  • damonmath
    Options
    The Bear looks like fun... I do versions of this at work... I have a super Burpee that requires weights that will rip you up for sure. It incorporates a lot of what the The Bear does.
  • temperoath
    Options
    I enjoy a good crossfit workout every now and then! It really kicks my *kitten*, and gives me a good indication and marks the progress I make on my muscle strength/Endurance and Cardio. Its also good for a little friendly competition with the rest of the crossfit team!
  • damonmath
    Options
    Yeah we have a wellness program on steroids at work... It's all lift and run, lift and run... Gets your heart racing... Never puked, but got close on a 4 mile trail run in 110 degree heat.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Well, my money is on all you fine gentleman with the great looking abs in your photos! That made it worth reading this post in and of itself! I agree with the lady who said "Go Heavy or Go Home" .... Nothing burns up calories like a body full of finely tuned muscles!
  • jjkriv
    jjkriv Posts: 42
    Options
    Arnold always said,"Don't be scared of the heavy weight",granted he was on some form of enhancing drugs,lol.....anyways,I always lift heavy,the pumps are better and I feel a sense of achievement as opposed to light weight workouts.
  • hungrycop
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advise...
  • Fight2bFiT
    Fight2bFiT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    wow, awesome FORUM!! now i see mostly guys saying lifting heavy and i've ALWAYS struggled with this! i want to look like those really hot fitness models, but i am scared to lift heavy because i dont want to gain. i really need to loose 25+ more lbs and feel like i guess i need to lean up before i lift heavy.
    am i wrong?
    i LOVE lifting heavy and MOST OF THE TIME when i see good lookin, fit women at the gym, they are lifting HEAVY! how much is too heavy?!?!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Repetition builds definition. Weight builds muscle.
    -wtk
    Repitition builds muscle endurance. Overload creates hypertrophy. Myth about high reps and definition.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Heavier weights and less reps will build strength.
    Lighter weights and more reps will build endurance.

I lift heavy!
    Yeah! A female that knows the ropes!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    wow, awesome FORUM!! now i see mostly guys saying lifting heavy and i've ALWAYS struggled with this! i want to look like those really hot fitness models, but i am scared to lift heavy because i dont want to gain. i really need to loose 25+ more lbs and feel like i guess i need to lean up before i lift heavy.
    am i wrong?
    i LOVE lifting heavy and MOST OF THE TIME when i see good lookin, fit women at the gym, they are lifting HEAVY! how much is too heavy?!?!
    If you can't move it with good form for 6 reps, it's too heavy.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no single answer. The type of resistance training recommended will depend on your age, your body fat level, your experience, your strength level, your motivation, your coordination, what facilities you have access to, etc.

In addition the same person will need different routines as they progress along their program or as their body composition changes.

Overall, I suspect the more people lift too easy than too hard but there is time and place for everything.
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    temperoath gave some solid, clear, instructive advice..how refreshing!

Thanks for the great info!
  • Fight2bFiT
    Options
    thank you for your comment. right now i am only lifting like 8s in my arms scared i will bulk up. but thats with high reps of 15....but question: since i have 25lbs to still lose will lifting heavy stop me from loosing?
  • Fight2bFiT
    Options
    am i wrong?
    If you can't move it with good form for 6 reps, it's too heavy.

thank you for your comment. right now i am only lifting like 8s in my arms scared i will bulk up. but thats with high reps of 15....but question: since i have 25lbs to still lose will lifting heavy stop me from loosing?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

You won't bulk up. For most women to bulk up they would need to take steroids. I lift as heavy as I can, and I still have a hard time bulking up, especially at a caloric deficit, it is almost impossible. Even for men to bulk up they would need to be at a caloric surplus, and it usually takes a long time for bulking to occur.

Make sure you are lifting heavy enough to really struggle on your last few reps. If you can do more than 12 to 15, you should definitely increase the weight. I usually try for 6 to 8 on most lifts, especially compound ones. Some of the isolation lifts, like side lateral raises, I will go 10 to 15 reps. Sometimes that 5lbs of extra weight will make it too hard to maintain proper form. I would rather go with proper form, even if I have to do extra reps, than lose form.