A funny re: Nike +

Options
My nike+ seemed to be a little high in the milage count. At the end of the 1/2 marathon on sunday it said I had run 14.98. I did forget to turn it off, but it was still off in distance. Last night at the gym I thought *idea* I'll calibrate it on the treadmill so I know exactly where a mile is. let me just say dumb idea! LOL:laugh: Tonight I went for an ourdoor run. I took my phone and used my GPS running app to compare and see how much better my ipod was. This was what I though one of those crappy runs. :ohwell: I was running hard! My legs were tired before normal and I kept looking at my ipod seeing my pace between 10: 03 and 10:39. I would run faster and it wouldn't budge!I was breathing hard! I was like WTH I can't still be fatigued from the race whats wrong with me. This went on for 4.5 miles. Finally I ran out of time/daylight and decided to stop. I took my phone out and stopped both programs at the same time. NO WONDER! Here is what the GPS said: 5.56 miles 49 min and the Ipod said 4.5miles 49 min. DOH! That means according the GPS I was avg (subtract 3 min for stop lights) a little over 8min mile. LOL Well, I found a way to make me train harder!:wink: I had one kick butt run! I didn't know I could maintain that speed for so long. :happy:

Replies

• JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I need to calibrate mine! I am going to at the gym tomorrow.
  • Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have never calibrated mine but there is usually a difference of about .25-.75 miles depending on how fast I go. The tread mill always shows less distance and a slower pace. I'm not really sure if I should calibrate it or not. I don't really know how either. When I run out side I sometimes use a gps watch and sometimes it is exactly the same as my nike+ and other times its off by .25 mile. Any suggestions?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be do NOT calibrate it on the treadmill! If it doesn't bother you I wouldn't mess with it, but for the longer distanances it is a nuisance. You can go to a track or some place that you know the exact point of a mile and of course run your normal pace to calibrate it. On your IPOD You just go to Nike + ; sensor; choose run or walk then calibrate. :smile:
  • Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thanks! There is a track nearby maybe I should go there and calibrate it. I have heard not to do it on a tread mill. Most of my runs on the road I can drive and sort of figure it out but for trail running I have to rely on it. It doesn't bother me much since I pretty much know when its not right I can figure it out myself.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just used my new nano with nike + today and it seemed correct from what I would have had if I used the fore runner I used to have.

I cannot get my itunes to upload it to the nike + site though and yes I did create an account on nike site prior to first upload.

Any ideas?
  • Hunnieshadow
    Options
    I have two Nike+'s. One that is calibrated to my treadmill on my Iphone, and the other is on my Nano and calibrated for the road running.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing - callibrating on the treadmill will almost ALWAYS give you the wrong results when you are on land - think of your stride! On a treadmill, for the most part, our strides are stunted - they are short and rapid meaning we cover sufficiently less ground on a treadmill than we would running "free" where our strides are nto governed by how fast the ground is leaving our feet but how fast our feet are leaving the ground. This means that, when you run on the road, you are able to increase your stride length, reduce your effort and cover more ground than you would ever hope to on a treadmill!

Calibrate outside, on your average 1km route and you should, for all intents and purposes, be good to go!

Keep running :)