Questions about circuit training and weights

NyxDominique
NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been doing a 30 mins circuit very similar to curves at my local gym.
The first time I did the circuit I felt my muscles burning and working.
I try to do the resistance circuit every other day or every third day.
In the days I have done the circuit that have followed I don't feel that burn when I finish anymore. Today I tried to increase the weight on the machines. Thinking maybe my body was getting used to it and that I just needed to put more resistance. Push myself alittle more.
Yet, I still feel no burn or pull on my muscles.
Is this normal or should I feel the burn? Do you think I need to increase the weights?

Replies

• 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    I would increase the weights! You need to feel muscle fatigue.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    What kind of reps are you doing? Maybe do your first two sets at a weight that you can lift through the reps then on the third set add a tiny bit more weight at lift to failure... Weights should be heavy enough that when you are finishing your sets you're feeling it when you lift.
  • Your body gets used to the exercise, so you will not get that burn or soreness. However, make sure you are upping the resistance and constantly challenging yourself. Trying adding weight regularly, even if only in minuscule increments.
  • NyxDominique
    What kind of reps are you doing? Maybe do your first two sets at a weight that you can lift through the reps then on the third set add a tiny bit more weight at lift to failure... Weights should be heavy enough that when you are finishing your sets you're feeling it when you lift.

Answering you questions. I am not sure if you have ever seen a "curves" circuit. It is the standard strenght resistance machines, but you don't do reps. Its like "green light" "red light" if it is green you start and you do that one excerise for a one full minute. As many times as you can. Then you run or use the steps for 1 minute. Then move the the next machine.

So there are no reps involved...
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Add weight gradually and reps. Go to muscle failure, when u feel u can't do more push for 5 more. It's the basic rule of overload. The only way for the body to change u must feel the burn:)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    are you trying to build muscle or burn fat?

muscle requires cal surplus, with heavy weights lower reps 6-8. you dont always have to feel a burn..that just means your muscles are gaining endurance. as far as increasing weights, if you can lift something 15 times then its too light. i usually go by, if you can lift it 10 reps then its too light.
  • NyxDominique
    are you trying to build muscle or burn fat?

muscle requires cal surplus, with heavy weights lower reps 6-8. you dont always have to feel a burn..that just means your muscles are gaining endurance. as far as increasing weights, if you can lift something 15 times then its too light. i usually go by, if you can lift it 10 reps then its too light.

Honestly I need to do alittle of both at this time. I need to lose 30 pds and gain muscle to be able to lift 125 pds.

I think you had a really good idea about the 15 times then it is too light. I think I will go by that. I also think I am going to try and use the weight station twice. Maybe two rotations (via the extra time) to try and get the weight correct will help. ^.^
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    As a general guide, our bodies tend to get used to a particular circuit within 3 - 4 weeks of starting it. To keep seeing progress you need to either change the circuit every 4 weeks or increase the resistance (weight) at least that often. If, at the end of the minute you feel like you could easily do 2 or more reps then you definitely need to increase the weight.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Yes u always have to feel the burn, its the lactic acid braking down muscles during a workout. Is the repair after the workout that builds the muscle back up. U don't have to lift heavy u have to lift to fatigue. Lifting heavy u will get mass lifting moderate will get u toned. As women we don't have the testosterone levels to get bulky. If it looks bulky its vis of the layer of fat over the muscle
This discussion has been closed.