Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Indian Wedding - Food Hell or Food Heaven?

alimac92
alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
Invited to an Indian Wedding Feast (food heaven or food hell?)

We are going to an Indian Wedding on Sunday, there is a feast waiting for us!
I’m tagging along with my daughter; it’s actually her work colleague who is getting married.

We have never been to this type of wedding before so we really do not know what to expect.

People have said there is a lot of eating and celebrating, more celebrating and more eating! Sounds like any other wedding ;)

What an earth will my daughter and I choose to eat?Will it send us over the edge? Do I avoid anything coloured red or orange and deep fried lol! Never mind that what will I find to wear and is anything going to fit, seeing as I'm so skinny with my 7 1b loss ha ha ha ha (slight hysteria)..........
Joking aside I suffer with IBS and I don’t want to aggravate my problem. It been subdued for the past month so I'd like to keep it that way as life is pretty miserable and painfull when the IBS is at it's worst.

I suppose I should be patient, sensible and just enjoy the day by trying something new.

(My daughter has informed its an Indian /Bangladeshi / muslim ceremony, so I don't know if that makes a difference to the menu?)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Hmmm, I would find that food heaven - but it isn't going to be a low calorie day and I'm not sure how it will work for you with IBS. If you know specifically what foods upset you, then I would tell them that you are "allergic" - people ususally understand this and won't push lots of this food on you.
    In terms of what to eat - dahl (lentils) and tomato based curries are probably going to be lower in calories than the fried goodies and the creamy/coconut dishes. Eat some rice, but not too much, give the nann bread a miss.
    But, as it's a special celebration, I'd suggest trying a little bit of (almost) everything, unless you can see up front that it is not going to agree with you, and let the calories take care of themselves for once.
    Perhaps you could call it calorie spiking??
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Oh, I would so go in your place!!! haha

Not sure what effect curries would have on IBS. They say Indian spices are only hot in the throat and some of them are good for digestion. I love all the flavors, but some can be too spicy. Tandoori chicken is a good choice. Tiki masala will have more cream than curry, but curry will have plenty of oil and coconut milk which is high in fat. Most of the veggie dishes I've had were cooked in oil or cream. I would just play it by ear and sight. You may get away with 7-800 cals and call it a day. Have fun!!!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    I will advise you not on calories but on the IBS issue- chicken tikka masala will probably be ok, as will rice, nann (I love nann!), dahl, and the creamy coconut high calorie dishes, you may also wish to drink some Lassie (yogurt-ydrink) it cools done any of the hotter curries and is supposed to help with digestion- take only small amounts of food because every Indian wedding I have ever been too has copious numbers of dishes and they seem to keep coming!

most of all relax and enjoy yourself!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 717 Member
    Having been to two Indian weddings, I agree...you are going to food heaven. The nan bread although delicous is very high in carbs and most likely should be passed over. The dahl (lentils) are an excellent source of protein and the curry meals will be lower in calories as will the tandoori chicken or lamb. To be honest, this is a celebration and you could try just a little of everything. But be aware that all the lentils and vegetable will contain fiber and if you are not accustomed to all the fiber, you will experience an increase in intestinal gas and may irritate your IBS. If you know what stimulates your IBS, just avoid it. I am sure your hostess and host will understand.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    I have ibs and love Indian food

take immodium, pepto, beano and any ibs medications you might be on beforehand and make sure to avoid any curry

by doing this you can avoid getting sick during the wedding but you'll still have a long night ahead of you after you go home

personally I feel that for Indian food, it's worth it
  • alimac92
    Oh, I would so go in your place!!! haha

Not sure what effect curries would have on IBS. They say Indian spices are only hot in the throat and some of them are good for digestion. I love all the flavors, but some can be too spicy. Tandoori chicken is a good choice. Tiki masala will have more cream than curry, but curry will have plenty of oil and coconut milk which is high in fat. Most of the veggie dishes I've had were cooked in oil or cream. I would just play it by ear and sight. You may get away with 7-800 cals and call it a day. Have fun!!!

Thanks for the advice! :smile: I may just send you in my place because all the foods you mention are the type of foods that jump off the plate and go down my front when I'm not looking. That can be more embarrassing than the IBS problem. :grumble:
  • alimac92

take immodium, pepto, beano and any ibs medications you might be on beforehand and make sure to avoid any curry

by doing this you can avoid getting sick during the wedding but you'll still have a long night ahead of you after you go home

bump

Thank you for the advice. :smile: All that preventative medicine seems a bit drastic. It aslo seems to have sent your hair very pink are you sure you should be taking all those medicines at once. I'm only teasing you, if you have found a solution that works for you in living with IBs then fair play to you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member

bump

Thank you for the advice. :smile: All that preventative medicine seems a bit drastic. It aslo seems to have sent your hair very pink are you sure you should be taking all those medicines at once. I'm only teasing you, if you have found a solution that works for you in living with IBs then fair play to you.
    :flowerforyou:
    Haha! Believe me I need all that preventative medicine.

My husband is always teasing me that all the pepto i take turned my hair pink
    but i insist its because im so sweet ;}
  • alimac92
    "bump"
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Mmmm. I'll be having shrimp masala and samoas Sunday myself. Sooo yummy!!!

My tip would be to go slow and mix a good ratio of rice in or use naan to dip. I'm not a fan of rice or bread but they can help (me at least) with creamy foods.
  • alimac92
    *bump*

thanks for the advice.....but....
    Omg no one told us that the time on the invitation was just a guide line and the ceremony started 90 mins later.
    Soft drinks were served, mango, orange, pineapple, nothing low calorie at all, oh tell a lie there was bottled water.

The bride and the bridesmaids were absolutely stunning in their ornate saris. The venue was beautifully decorated, we saw the bride in her private chamber where she remained while we all ate.

I tried a little tandoori meat and a shish kebab, which was blow your socks off hot!
    There were four curries on the table with lots of rice, no bread. I avoided the really hot stuff and just had a little mild.

At first my daughter and I had a table for ten people all to our self lol!
    Later a family of men and boys sat our table and they were friendly and explained what was to eat.
    We had to endure sitting through 30 mins of having our ears blasted with an out of tune microphone being used at full volume by the priest.

The The lunch was followed by a milky pudding made from the curds. I was not keen on it but it did cool the mouth down.
    I was completely put off mine when the old man who was talking to my daughter choked on his own and the pudding shot out of his nostrills!!

Yuck that put me right off and I was in a lot of pain holding in my laugh. :laugh:

We did not stay for the second sitting as I had started to feel out of sorts. :grumble:

So for me and my IBS It turned out to be food hell not food heaven for me with dire consequences the next day! :devil: