Wii Fit no use for weighing accurately...?

Options
Slight panic as I've been using the Wii Fit to weigh myself since I started MFP 2 weeks ago, but a friend pointed out to me that they are not at all consistent/accurate for weighing yourself!

Therefore, all my weight/weight loss/target calories/etc could be utter tosh!

Anybody else got any experience with these things?

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale I guess :wink:
  • tmej1973
    tmej1973 Posts: 14
    Options
    My wii fit states I weight 19 pounds less than my scale or doctors office says I do. I am not sure if this is a common issue, but thought I would share. Best of luck to you!
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been using it to weigh myself, now you have me wondering. I don't have another scale. I may go to the store tomorrow and pick one up. Thanks for the advice!
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    mine is always the same as the scales.....
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My Wii Fit is typically 2 pounds lower then my actual scale.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Spend $20 and get a decent set of scales lol
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    mine is accurate according to the other scale I have tested it by but I ALWAYS do a naked weigh in on my wii, none of that guess how much your clothes weigh and let wii factor it in junk...
  • xFrancescax
    Options
    Mine are anything between 7-10lbs over or under!
  • Dianamgoss
    Options
    Mine is a couple pounds off too, but so is my scale from the doctor's office. It depends on many factors- if your scale is accurate, level, and calibrated correctly; time of day; clothing; food you have eaten; etc... I wouldn't worry about the number just track your changes on the same scale
  • MaryAnne1
    MaryAnne1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mine always seem fairly accurate. You need to make sure you do it on a good hard floor or firm carpet, not a fluffy one!
  • vickiellis5374
    Options
    my are consistent, but i always put the same clothes weight in no matter what i am wearing and that seems to do the trick, hope this helps
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My Wii and scale are the same. But the Wii does have various settings that take your clothes into account and subtracts lbs depending on what you set it at. I always make sure I have it set a 0.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My friend had solid flooring (carpets can cause variations on any scales!) and weighed herself, jumped off and weighed herself again...there was quite a big difference and that was without the wii thingy being moved so if you pack it away between uses you could find there are even more discrepancies. I'd buy scales. My scales do not move, I have marked the floor where they go and have marked the scales where my feet go to minimise variations I can still get up to 1lb difference just stepping on and off them (i always do it 3 times and take the middle reading)

hmmm...that sounds a tad OCD doesnt it LMAO!!!
  • belatti
    belatti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Might sound obvious, but (like scales) if you're Wii fit is on carpet then it won't weigh accurately. If you are using it on carpet then the leg extensions help a lot with accuracy
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My Wii Fit weighs me in at a pretty consistent 1 pound heavier than my scale. It was much more off when I wasn't using the foot extenders that's included with the kit for use with carpet....it weighed me about 5-6 pounds lighter than the scale and at one point it even told me I lost 26 pounds overnight. And yeah, the "how heavy are your clothes?" part of the Wii weigh in does make a difference.

You should probably get yourself a regular 'ol scale. Or at least weigh on the Wii in your birthday suit, and make sure the flooring is very even and stable.
  • Flossycat100
    Options
    Id suggest that a Wii Fit is, above anything else, a game (albeit a healthy one) whereby scales are designed for accuracy. Scales will always win out.
  • Pawsntails
    Pawsntails Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mine consistently matches my scales and gym scales even though its on carpet (though it isnt fluffy)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My wii fit is right on, even tested it by weighing a new bag of flour. I use mine in the same spot, on a hard floor w/o the risers.
  • bbear690
    bbear690 Posts: 22
    Options
    i always use my wii fit to measure my weight, its going down so i am happy lol
    Been dieting for 3 weeks and already lost 5lb, only started on here today but am hoping to loose a bit more :)
  • sistaliz
    sistaliz Posts: 1
    Options
    ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION I HAVE NOT HAD THAT PROBLEM TRY USING ON THE SAME SPOT AND WEARING THE SAME THING ,THATS HOW I HAVE DONE IT AND NOT ON CARPET.