can you criticize my food diary pls

Options
Hello,

Was just having a look over my last few weeks, and I was wondering if someone else can have a look and see where I can improve.
Please be honest and brutal if necessary LOL

Xx

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    firstly: how is progress going? Do you really need to adjust? What sort of exercise do you do?

You are consistent with hitting your cal targets so that is good.

It seems like you have a pretty regular go to meals which I find makes easier.

You like a low fat diet?

I personally prefer higher protein, moderate carb and fat to preserve/gain muscle mass.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at this, and learning myself, so I can't offer much comment, but I do notice that you don't eat a very varied selection of vegetables, mostly peppers and onions. Think you could try introducing a wider variety to add in a better mix of vitamins etc?
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just had a quick look at your diary. Do you feel what your currently doing isnt worknig for you?

Your diary looks ok, you dont seem to have calorific foods on there, maybe try and have fresh fruit instead of tinned. Probably the same calories but the cals in the fresh fruit are better and you also get nutrients. Maybe try and get more veggies in too...carbs at lunch time and none at dinner. I try and only have carbs at dinner if i have done a work out to earn them (although not always)

I also find that things like rice cakes and crackers are just pointless, they satisfy me for all of 10 seconds. Healthy snacks like apple with peanut butter might have a bit more calories but they also have goodness and will be more satisfying in the long run.

My diary certainly isnt perfect but i try to practice what i preach! :)
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The one thing I would say is instead of snacking on sorbet, cheese, mars bars and pre-pack stuff, how about picking up a load of dried raisins, seeds and nuts and grab a handful of that. I find that to be a ton more filling and also less heavy on the stomach. Plus you know exactly what is going in your body and you can have a bigger amount of it than say 30g of cheese which might make you feel you are eating more. You could look at www.graze.com, they deliver through the post for not too much money in UK.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    there is always things you can do to improve, but this is an impossible question without knowing you and your capabilities - anybody who critiques your diary without a better understanding of what you can do would be crazy.

But I do notice is that there is no water logged. you need to be drinking at least 8 cups a day to be processing food and making your body function efficiently.

you can eliminate the chocolate i see there, but then you could be eating just fruit, vegetables, grains and lean meat, which may be boring after a while, so chocolate occasionally isnt really a problem unless you eat it regularly.

Maybe the better thing is to assess what you are doing - are you losing the weight you want at the right pace (ie not too fast)?
    Have you set your personal goals to be accurate (ie not trying to lose 5 pounds a week or something silly like that)?
    Are you just lightly exercising every day for a couple of hours or are you doing something challenging for half an hour?

If you are feeling good and losing weight then what's to change? Feel good about yourself knowing that you are improving you, more information if you need something specific

xx Dianne
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    gone back 4 days, looks fine to me.

Have you any concerns that have made you post this?
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    a high carb diet seems to work and keep me sane LOL.
    I currently do zumba classes 3 times a week, a hike on the weekend, and I've just started to incorporate 2 sessions of total body strength training too.
    It works so far and progress is okay but theres always room for improvement ;) but I work that I don't hit my protein and always hit my fat goal.lol. Plus I'm doing next weeks shopping list so it crossed my mind what can i change.
    I thought the same about the veg/fruit, I struggle to get the bf to eat veg so I try and hide what I can in stews etc. what kind of lunch ideas would be good?
    Xx
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    ohhh i do drink my water, i drink a UK pint at breakfast, 2 litres during the day and a pint at dinner/over the evening. I just cba to log it LOL
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Are you often hungry so you need your snacks to get through the day? You're quite high in carbohydrates, and a substantial part of this is simple carbs, while often you don't fill MFP's admittedly low standard recommendation for protein. My only suggestion would be to invert the carb/protein ratio that MFP gives as default, for instance going to 40/30/30 carb/protein/fats. 30/40/30 would be even better, especially if you want to keep yourself from going hungry during the day. What's your sugar intake?
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For lunch ideas...i love Tesco wholemeal pittas stuffed with anything! Loads fo chicken and salad or make your own coleslaw with a spoon of mayo and a spoon of 0% fat greek yoghurt to take the calories down.

Couscous is also good if you want carbs and you can add loads to it like chicken, feta cheese, peppers, cherry tomatos, cucumber, spring onion. Lots of fresh parsley and lemon for flavour.

Baked potatoes are good for lunch to as they will keep you feeling full and give you energy for your workouts and you can make your toppings quite healthy too.

:)
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Great idea OP. I was wondering if someone could critique mine too please!

About your diary. What are you trying to accomplish? Weight loss? Muscle Gain? Both? What are your macros? If you do not know your macros I suggest you go here and calculate them http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm ( Select the zone diet 40-30-30 )

Its seems to me that your calories are about right. Your eating below 2000 cal/day. Judging by your profile I see your trying to loose wieght? Thats a good start. I recommend you calculate your macros to 40% Protien/30% Carbs/30%Fats. You need more protien in your diet. Protien builds muscle and burns fat. I think your carbs are a bit high, you should keep them between 150-200g/day. Your fats seem to be on point.

I also recommend supplimentation. CLA, Fish Oils, Protien. and a good multi-vitamin go hand in hand with loosing wieght. You should comsume 1gram of protien per every pound you weigh i.e. if you weigh 200 you should comsume around 200 grams of protien a day. Take a look at my signiture, I have lost over 10 pounds in one month while on these suppliments and working out 3-4 days a week. I usually do 30-45 minutes of wieght lifting with a 10-15min low intensity run on the treadmill for warm-up. On my days off I usually try to get in 30 minutes of cardio.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.