going away for the weekend need to stick with it!

Options
Going to need some power this weekend! I'm am taking a trip with my four best girlfiends, all of whom are in the skinny no matter what they eat camp. This is my first extended social situation since my new eating philosophy and there is going to be a lot of going out to eat. my plan is just to keep it simple, since I'm mostly afraid of just ot knowing what is in the recipes on the menus.

Replies

• saraemmalu
    Options
    good luck :-)
  • aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you can check out the restaurants online before you get there you can figure out what is best for you to eat.
  • BeeZeeB
    BeeZeeB Posts: 9
    Options
    You will do great....I have the same situation coming up in May with a trip to Disney!!! Try to eat what you know....and if you don't know stick to fruit, salad, meats that are grilled with no sauces or gravys. I have thought about this already and I have made it a point to say that I CAN DO THIS!!!! If at all possible take snacks in purse or backpack so that when everyone is chowing down you won't be starving and give in to temptation.

Have a great time and BE STRONG!!!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You can do this.

First of all, just remember, this is life. Life has lots of fun social situations that you don't want to miss out on just because your current phase is to lose weight. You can't spend the rest of your life sitting at home counting your beans. :) So go have fun. If you do happen to indulge in some food that isn't on your plan. Make sure it's worth every calorie. Enjoy it. And then come Monday you are back on your plan.

Secondly...
    all of whom are in the skinny no matter what they eat camp.

This is a myth. There is no such thing as a person that can eat thousands of calories everyday and sit on their arses watching the boob tube and not gain an ounce. What "no matter what they eat" means that their normal food intake is what is within their calorie limits. (with or without exercise) If they say they don't watch what they eat, it's because they just don't eat bad foods on a regular basis, they just know from experience and good eating habits what they can consume. If they go out this weekend and they do indulge on ridiculous amounts of food, come Monday they are back to eating their "normal", which is normal for their weight. In the end this is what our goal should be. If they are spending the rest of their days eating an 800 calorie a day diet, that is neither healthy nor "eating whatever they want"
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem coming up! Going for 5 days to the coast with my bf and we'll be eating out every night :S

I'm just going to make sure I only have a main (no starter or desert!) and pick the healthiest thing I can without just chewing on lettuce all week....and then make sure I get some exercise in during the day to compensate...walk/jog down the beach etc!
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    all of whom are in the skinny no matter what they eat camp.

This is a myth. There is no such thing as a person that can eat thousands of calories everyday and sit on their arses watching the boob tube and not gain an ounce. What "no matter what they eat" means that their normal food intake is what is within their calorie limits. (with or without exercise) If they say they don't watch what they eat, it's because they just don't eat bad foods on a regular basis, they just know from experience and good eating habits what they can consume. If they go out this weekend and they do indulge on ridiculous amounts of food, come Monday they are back to eating their "normal", which is normal for their weight. In the end this is what our goal should be. If they are spending the rest of their days eating an 800 calorie a day diet, that is neither healthy nor "eating whatever they want"

I'm not convinced on this one, I have a friend who is 5 ft 7 (ish) and weighs 8 stone...which is pretty skinny, and I sit and watch her eat chocolate, pre-packed sandwiches, crisps, sweets......everyday! She eats whatever she wants and barely exercises.

We're of similar height and age, but if I ate what she ate, I'd be fat.......and well, I used to, and I got fat!!!!!!

I just think some peoples metabolisms are higher than other peoples. My brother is also under weight, and can go through 10 bags of crisps a day!!!! He eats so unhealthily, but eats a lot, and all the wrong stuff, yet never gains a pound......AND he's a couch potato!!!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Some restraunts indicate the lower calorie entrees on their menu. If you stick to these options, it will make eating out much easier for you. It's surprising sometimes to find out just how many calories are in restraunt food.

I always look for items like grilled chicken or fish, or items that I can customize (like sandwiches, etc.) by asking them to remove sauces (substitue brown mustard for mayo, etc.) and cheeses. Also, you can make restraunt entrees healthier by asking them to substitue things like potatoes (mashed, french fries, etc.) for low cal veggies like broccoli or a side salad without dressing.

If you have a smart phone and use the MFP app, you can always do a quick search of the menu item that you are considering ordering. But, it's always best to plan ahead and if you have access to online menus, check them out before you go out to eat and plan your meals accordingly.

Hope this helps! And don't stress, you'll be fine! Have a good time and relax!
  • aljvb23
    aljvb23 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks, just finished packing and off we go!!!!

I did pack a bag of snacks. My first "indulgence" my have to be an adult beverage for our toast...
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    Watch your portions and stay active...That's what I did and I didn't gain. Most of all ENJOY!