CLA or Fish Oil?

kimd1974
kimd1974 Posts: 113
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I'm going to start taking some supplements and I'm trying to decide between fish oil and CLA. Any opinions? I have around 19 pounds to lose.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I always take fish oil. Started taking it about a year ago and I've liked it.
  • Take both. Its what I do. Also get on a good multivitamin for women. They go hand in hand with loosing wieght . I recommend Optimum for Women. Good Luck!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    I always take fish oil. Started taking it about a year ago and I've liked it.

Ditto! I would even suggest having the Fish oil with vitamin D added...
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    I take both, been taking both for a 1 1/2 years.
  • kimd1974
    I found this info. Looks like they work well together.

DHA and CLA
    DHA or docohexaenoic acid comes from fish oil and fights fat in several ways. It blocks lipid or fat synthesis, increases fat burning and improves insulin sensitivity, according to the Muscle & Fitness article titled "Five Fat Fighters." CLA or conjugated linoleic acid comes from dairy products and meat. It works with DHA to burn fat by triggering more fatty acid oxidation, while also increasing lean muscle, says Jim Stoppani in Supplements 101. Take 1 to 3 g of CLA up to three times daily. Take 1 to 2 g of a fish oil supplement containing 20 percent DHA, up to three times

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/241659-the-best-stack-fat-burners/#ixzz1Jal4Am5E
  • kimd1974
    I take both, been taking both for a 1 1/2 years.

How much do you take? I've been looking online and I am getting different info.
  • I usually take what the directions say. 2-4 1000mg pills should be sufficient for the day.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    I take Labrada EFA Gold, which contains CLA, Omega 3, 6 and 9 and other essential fatty acids.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/lab/leangold.html
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    I take fish oil 1200mg
  • What are some of the benefits of fish oil? That you've personally experienced? just curious..
  • What are some of the benefits of fish oil? That you've personally experienced? just curious..

Fish Oil is a EFA( Essential Fatty Acid ) You need to eat fat to loose fat. Fish Oil Is very good fat. It promotes a healthy heartt, stronger joints and aids in fat loss. If your not on fish oil, then you need to get on it! Its a must! Google fish oil and you will find endless information about it :)

Fish Oil is a EFA( Essential Fatty Acid ) You need to eat fat to loose fat. Fish Oil Is very good fat. It promotes a healthy heartt, stronger joints and aids in fat loss. If your not on fish oil, then you need to get on it! Its a must! Google fish oil and you will find endless information about it :)
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    What are some of the benefits of fish oil? That you've personally experienced? just curious..

is 1200 mg of fish oil twice a day good?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member

How much do you take? I've been looking online and I am getting different info.

I couldn't tell you. I can't remember what each capsule of mine contains. But I take 4 caps a day.

Sorry
  • Go off the directions off the bottle. 2-3 of 1200mg is 2400mg to 3600mg a day I take 2-4 1000mg pills a day 2000mg-4000mg/day. Usually 2 in the morning and 2 at night
  • Thank you! I have some. I will start taking them right now :)
  • jennac27
    jennac27 Posts: 6
    I take the DHA supplement from Trader Joe's, and I find that it really improves my mood and concentration. Get the "odorless" or extended release to avoid nasty fish burps!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I've heard CLA should only be obtained from free-range meat products, so I wouldn't take it as a supplement.

I love fish oil! Look for mercury-free ones. :bigsmile:
  • I've heard CLA should only be obtained from free-range meat products, so I wouldn't take it as a supplement.

I love fish oil! Look for mercury-free ones. :bigsmile:

Do you have any link supporting this claim?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    What are some of the benefits of fish oil? That you've personally experienced? just curious..

I don't know anything about it's relationship to weight loss, but fish oil provides essential Omega 3 fatty acids. Essential fatty acids are those that your body can not produce on its own, so you must get them from your diet.

You want to get them from fish/animal sources because these have higher concentrations of DHA (although they also provide EPA), while plant sources of Omega 3s are low in DHA. Your body has a very slight ability to convert EPA to DHA, but it's VERY slight.

Omega 3s have a general anti-inflammatory effect in the body, so they benefit cardiovascular health, brain health, eyes, joint health and may even play a role in delaying/preventing dementia, etc. They also have an anticoagulant effect so you MUST tell your doctor that you are adding an Omega 3 supplement to your diet in case of any drug interactions and don't even start it without talking to a doctor if you are taking Coumadin or other blood thinners.

Omega 3s need to be balanced with Omega 6s to function properly, so it's not a situation of 'if some is good, more must be better'. There seems to be some debate about what the proper ratio between the two should be, but it's generally recommended at 5:1 or thereabouts.

(I had researched all of this before putting my dog on fish oil.)

ETA: Here's an article on DHA from the University of Maryland Medical Center that may be useful: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/docosahexaenoic-acid-000300.htm

And one on EPA: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/eicosapentaenoic-acid-000301.htm
This discussion has been closed.