Carbs, Protein, & Exercise…How to get the best out of your

Options
I'm relatively new to MFP and have been exercising now for two months. Several times I've heard that carbs fuel exercise and protein repairs muscles. Naturally, I want to make sure that I get the most "bang" for my buck by doing the right things before, during, and after exercise. When you’re on the go to the gym or wherever, what do you eat before exercising to fuel your workout? How soon before a workout to you eat? What do you do for recovery? I’d love to hear what exercises, fuel, and recovery works best for you.

To change things up a bit for me, I recently added power walking to my exercise routine. I also want to add running & walking stadiums, ramps, & tunnels at the University of Florida Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. I do cardio exercises six days a week and get in three days a week of weightlifting. Although I’ve improved a lot with hydration, I definitely need to drink even more.

I do step aerobics 2-3 days a week
Power walks two days a week
I want to incorporate walking & running stadiums 1-2 days a week
Weightlifting is an every other day exercise that's added to one of the above

Here are some great links I found about Carbs, Protein, and hydration that may benefit you too.
Sports Nutrition - How Carbohydrate Provides Energy for Exercise:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/a/Carbohydrates.htm

Energy Pathways for Exercise - How Carbohydrate, Fat and Protein Fuels Exercise:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa080803a.htm

Hydration & Exercise - What to Drink for Proper Hydration During Exercise:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/ProperHydration.htm

Thanks for your help!
Jennifer

Replies

• donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    What's your main goal? Weight loss or building? A "six pack" is pointless if you have more fat to lose although you should supplement cardio with a bit of strength when you're looking to burn.

You cannot efficiently focus on fat loss and building muscle at the same time.

When you know what you're going for you will get a bunch of opinions on what ratios of protein:carb:fat is best. But, basically, protein repairs/builds muscle and carbs fuel cardio. They need to work *together*. As long as your total caloric intake is less than what you need for the day you're good for weight loss. Everything specific is specific to you and all you can do is use common sense and try things. :-D That's the "fun" part.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every morning before the gym, it keeps my energy up and works wonders. Plus you don't want to work out on too full of a tummy. I would like to eat eggs after for the protein, but often I don't have time so I eat a nutrigrain bar as my second breakfast usually. The morning workout is fairly new to me, so I haven't gotten the protein part squeezed in yet. As soon as i start getting up a little earlier, I will have a better breakfast after. Good job on everything, you seem to know what you are doing. I alternate days with cardio and weights.. You need muscles to burn fat so you got that part right. I also still do 10-15 minutes of cardio before lifting to warm up. You are doing good, but be careful your body needs rest days :) Good luck
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I eat very little carb (if any) with my evening meal as it wont get burnt off, and try and stick to slow release carb during day.

Toast for breakfast before 15 mile ride to work. Banana mid morning & afternoon with either cous cous or own noodles to build carb up for ride home and bit of weights.

Tend to do 60-75 mile club ride at weekend...and you wouldn't believe how much I can eat after a 4000+ calorie burn!