It is NOT math

Options
It is NOT math.

I’m a 52-year-old man. I’m 5’6”. At my biggest I was 215. When I started MyFitnessPal I was 190.

HISTORY
I was a skinny kid. I weighed 104 when I was 20 years old at 5’6”. I started lifting weights and put on some healthy weight. I enjoyed working out and even helping others work out. This went well into my 30’s. Some how it became easy to put on weight. Not good weight but FAT. I got married at 43 to a wonderful, beautiful woman who is still a great cook. I put on more fat even faster. She got pregnant and we had a son. That accelerated my accumulation of fat. During most of this time I was working out regular. I was using a Polar Heart Rate Monitor and can go back about 5 years and see my workouts. At 215 pounds I was borderline diabetic and my cholesterol was high.

TODAY’S STORY
Yesterday I was really good about sticking to the program. Ate pretty well and worked out. I was under my calories by about 400. I was not going to eat them. About 11 P.M. (I have trouble sleeping) I started to get a little hungry and hearing all your voices on MFP I was worried I had not had enough to eat. So I had some Chobani Greek Yogurt and some Me&Goji Custom Cereal that was sitting in the cupboard for too long. I was still 148 calories under. Not only did I not go down in weight the ½ pound I was expecting but also I weighed 2 pounds more!

Okay I’m not worried, depressed or even upset at the weight gain. I understand daily fluctuations etc. and not the point I wanted to make.

CONCLUSIONS that are true for ME
1. Journaling is beneficial – without it I wouldn’t be able to make any of these conclusions
2. I can gain fat even thou I work out
3. Working out 20 minutes 3 times a week is not nearly enough for me
4. Carbs are bad for me
5. Eating late is bad for me
MY MAIN POINT THAT I WANT TO MAKE
6. THERE IS MORE TO THIS HEALTHY EATING STUFF THEN JUST CALORIES IN / CALORIES OUT!

I skipped a lot of history and interesting stories that taught me many lessons – maybe I’ll share them another time. Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks for your time,
Rick

Replies

• charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Working 20 minutes a day 3 times a week is not enough for me either.

I have to stay away from simple carbs - nothing white is good for my body.

Sometimes it just takes knowing your own body - and doing what is right for you (as long as it's healty).
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Amen to that!!! I agree! Your 2 lbs was probably fluid though, not fat that fast. When I eat carbs late at night (or go over by alot for the day) I get the same thing and it ususally comes right back off after a day or 2 of eating better. Good luck with the rest of your journey!!