Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2 Things I Learned Today!!

Almost made me wanna throw in the towel!

1st: Never let different people do your measurements and body fat analysis. My fitness advisor has been doing mine for almost a year. Well she is out on maternity leave so I had her replacement do it today (bless his heart). Needless to say, it was waaaaay off.

2nd: Never do your measurements and body fat analysis when TOM is visiting, for the men, thats our way of saying "we're on our period" (sorry for the graphic breakdown).

I think these two things played an big role in my measurements today. But oh well, like the old song goes "I'll keeeeep holding onnnnn"...

Replies

• i agree T it amazing how they vary so much! much like clothing one pants a size four the other a 6???? it depresses me to death if that happens on a bad day lol
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    You aint just whistlin' dixie.
    They tape us for body fat percentage if we don't make a certain weight. One person taped this guy at 20% a week before weigh ins so he figured if he ate healthy that week he would at least make body fat. Well another petty officer measure him for the official weigh in and got himat 27% that's a huge difference. They give him the exact measurements he needs to be (they have a certain window of time to weigh/measure us before the official numbers are put in) and he comes back everything is what they tell him it should be, they tell him he's passed the prt (barely) but he's still in the Navy not getting sent home.

Later on that day they call him into the office to tell him they made a mistake. He's off by 1% and he isgetting kicked out. What a bunch of BS.
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    They tape us for body fat percentage if we don't make a certain weight. One person taped this guy at 20% a week before weigh ins so he figured if he ate healthy that week he would at least make body fat. Well another petty officer measure him for the official weigh in and got himat 27% that's a huge difference. They give him the exact measurements he needs to be (they have a certain window of time to weigh/measure us before the official numbers are put in) and he comes back everything is what they tell him it should be, they tell him he's passed the prt (barely) but he's still in the Navy not getting sent home.

Later on that day they call him into the office to tell him they made a mistake. He's off by 1% and he isgetting kicked out. What a bunch of BS.

WOW!! Really? and there's nothing he can do about it? You mean this man's life and career is in the hands of "people"? No bueno!! I would be HOT!!! Yeah i was talking to this other trainer and he said and i quote "the scale and the look is important. Everything else is suspect". So go figure...
  • MeekMeals
    i agree T it amazing how they vary so much! much like clothing one pants a size four the other a 6???? it depresses me to death if that happens on a bad day lol

I KNOW!!! I was a wreck this morning. TOM then that! I almost said eff the workout!! But I dust my shoulders off and got right back into it! THen I just started singing the U2 song in my head all morning. "Its a Beautiful Dayyyyy!!!" It worked!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Hey we know what TOM is, we take the brunt of it. LOL
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member

To be fair they don't just kick you out after the first failure, they do it on the third so he had a year to get the weight down. But that 1% was kind of messed up.

WOW!! Really? and there's nothing he can do about it? You mean this man's life and career is in the hands of "people"? No bueno!! I would be HOT!!! Yeah i was talking to this other trainer and he said and i quote "the scale and the look is important. Everything else is suspect". So go figure...
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    They say that body fat is never accurate unless you do the actual machine at the hospital and some but not many Dr' offices have it I forget the name but all those other methods are suspect well I think that can be true because I did the hand held device, and did the pinch test plus did the one you enter the numbers in the comp. and all 3 came back different go figure two were closer and 1 was way out there.

As far as measurments I use my birth mark on my leg for a marker for my thighs and I measure the distance between my thumb and index finger for other measurments to keep the same spot and just do it at home myself!!

But never during time of the month I look pregnant looks are enough for me during that time LOL!
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    I know bout those numbers with the military my hubby is a marine and they have gotten a lot stricker with that he was on weight control earlier in his career for that same reason now he dont mess around he is no where near the body fat percent!

Sorry about what happen to that guy!!
  • MeekMeals
    They say that body fat is never accurate unless you do the actual machine at the hospital and some but not many Dr' offices have it I forget the name but all those other methods are suspect well I think that can be true because I did the hand held device, and did the pinch test plus did the one you enter the numbers in the comp. and all 3 came back different go figure two were closer and 1 was way out there.

As far as measurments I use my birth mark on my leg for a marker for my thighs and I measure the distance between my thumb and index finger for other measurments to keep the same spot and just do it at home myself!!

But never during time of the month I look pregnant looks are enough for me during that time LOL!

I like your method!! I wil create my own "guidelines" to gauge my success. Its a C-O-N-spiracy! LOL!!
  • MeekMeals

To be fair they don't just kick you out after the first failure, they do it on the third so he had a year to get the weight down. But that 1% was kind of messed up.

Ohhhh ok. I was thinking WOW the military is rough!!
  • mytwobabies
    mytwobabies Posts: 113 Member
    As far as the military goes with tapeing, I agree! My hubby almost didnt get to go to the board for his promotion because of the way one guy measured him. Luckily for him they re-taped him the next day and he was fine and gets to put in for the promotion. :) he really takes hits to his ego when that happens because he works out soooo much and so hard.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Tam, just throw in the towel. Yeah, that will make you feel better. LOL. You're crazy. Ups and Downs...remember. Ups and Downs.
    The Ups are easy...how tough are you during the Downs?
    Look, I'll help. Send me monthly bikini pics and I'll let you know if you're gainin or losing. LOL
    You're doing great and this is a life style change. It will happed sooner rather than later.
  • MeekMeals
    As far as the military goes with tapeing, I agree! My hubby almost didnt get to go to the board for his promotion because of the way one guy measured him. Luckily for him they re-taped him the next day and he was fine and gets to put in for the promotion. :) he really takes hits to his ego when that happens because he works out soooo much and so hard.

See!!! Thats what I mean! Well I am going to not "rely" on one person's measurement from now on
  • MeekMeals
    Tam, just throw in the towel. Yeah, that will make you feel better. LOL. You're crazy. Ups and Downs...remember. Ups and Downs.
    Look, I'll help. Send me monthly bikini pics and I'll let you know if you're gainin or losing. LOL
    You're doing great and this is a life style change. It will happed sooner rather than later.

LOL!!! You and ceebran are gonna make me spit out my coffee today!!!! Yes i'm drinking coffee laddy! Its definitely a lifestyle change I like it. And when I'm down I still hang in there, I dont get too manic! Like get a big mac meal. Try to keep my eyes on the prize. And I'm nowhere near ready for the bikini shot maybe by the summer!! :-)
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Now that is a friend.... :)
  • MeekMeals
    Now that is a friend.... :)

Yes Laddy has been hanging in with me and all my craziness!!! He's the bomb.com!