Super Simple Cajun Chicken Salad

Options
This one's a mainstay for me and really easy and fast to make. I have generally very little time so I gravitate towards recipes that are quick and easy to make - this one takes about 15 mins.

Ingredients:
Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast (quantity depends on number of servings)
Tomatoes
Cukes (I prefer Long English with skin left on)
Salad Greens (I use organic spring mix - but it's totally optional)
Garlic Powder and/or Fresh Garlic
Cajun Spice - (READ THE LABEL, make sure it's not loaded with sugar or sodium - there are many that are just spice but many others that have all kinds of junk in there)

For frozen chicken - Microwave for about 1min just to take the edge off and then chop into cubes while the meat is still mostly frozen - makes it easier to cut.

For fresh chicken just chop into cubes.

put a thin film of water in the bottom of a fry pan (I use a cast iron skillet) and add the chicken turn to med-high heat. While the pan is heating LIBERALLY (I probably use about 2-3 Tbsp) sprinkle with cajun spice. Then add garic powder/garlic and any other spices you want to try (I'll dump a bunch of what I have hanging in my pantry over top) Cover and let it start to cook. Obviously fresh garlic is better then the bowder (but takes longer) and combining the two is also great if you're a garlic lover.

While the pan it heating and starting to work on that chicken prep your salad greens, cukes, tomatoes etc into individual bowels.

Usually by the time you have the salad prepped the chicken is sizzling away nicely - give it a stir and re-cover it - might need to lower the heat slightly at this point to med or just below. Cook until the chicken is done and then sprinkle that over the salad in the individual bowels.

done. From freezer to lunch in about 15 mins with only 1 pan used and it's delicious!

Options:
You can add mushrooms and/or onions to the chicken when cooking (takes longer to simmer off the water with mushrooms)
You can add cheese to the salad (I recommend feta) - but it really bumps up the calories

Replies