Day Off...pro or con?

Options
Do you take a "Day off" from working out? Is this good or bad? Do you just scale down what you've been doing but still do something? This is my first really committed week. I'm a creature or habit and I live by a schedule so I'm wanting to continue on the right foot. I'm just wondering if my body needs a day to rest or if I should keep pushing through? All thoughts are welcome. :) Thank you in advance. Have a wonderful Friday! :happy:

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Take a day off, your body will thank you! I went about 2 weeks working out everyday and found myself having to abandon a run...took the next day off and was ready to go the next day. The "sabbath" need for rest is built into us.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scheduled day off. I usually burn around 1000 calories a day and after last night I was worn out so I planned to take today off. I was up early this morning and ended up going for a walk anyway and burning 400 calories. So for me, doing a little seems more reasonable than doing nothing at all.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I take a day off, but try to do something fun like my Wii Fit, or take a leisurely walk. I've read many times that a day off to recover is highly recommended.
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a day off for two reasons. One, when setting up a new lifestyle, I have found that it is important to make it something that is do-able, and at least for me, working out 7 days a week is not something that I would do on a regular basis so I strive for 4-5 days a week.
    And two, it is good to give your body a rest if you are pushing hard the other days of the week. I think people on here will take a walk or do something light on their day off if they feel the need, but it is less intense then the other days.
    I hope this helps and good luck!!
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes. At least 1 day of rest to give your body time to recover. I also found switching it up and taking a break also helped me break my plateau.
  • doowanger
    Options
    It's recommended that you take a day off. It actually helps the muscles heal properly. I know that I am not nearly as sore from running when I take a day off in between. Taking two days off can be detrimental though...atleast early on when you haven't built up those good habits. Keep it up!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I recommend a day off. It helps mentally as well as physically to not have so much pressure on you. Plus you will miss exercising and be ready and willing to get back into the next day, and probably be able to push yourself better to do more.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I think it's healthy, and so will any fitness expert that you ask, to take a day off now and then otherwise you will get burnt out, and a lot of times, revert back to the old ways.

I say go for it! Enjoy yourself!

When I take a day off as far as eating, I allow myself to have a few of the things I have cut out, such as a chili dog or a good slice of pizza. A lot of times, you may also find that what used to appeal to you, doesn't anymore. If I gain a pound that day, so what. It's better than killing myself and then hitting the breaking point where I go completely off the board and enter self-sabotage mode.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You need at least one day off!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Days off are GREAT! Pro and amateur athletes all do it! Your muscles need a break. They need a day to heal and repair from all the work you've required of them. So, on days off, make sure you're feeding your muscles what they need (protein and carbohydrates) and drink a lot of water.

Good luck!
  • istutzman
    istutzman Posts: 64
    Options
    I do the Insanity dvd's and they give you a day off. So I would say yes.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I think it's healthy, and so will any fitness expert that you ask, to take a day off now and then otherwise you will get burnt out, and a lot of times, revert back to the old ways.

I say go for it! Enjoy yourself!

When I take a day off as far as eating, I allow myself to have a few of the things I have cut out, such as a chili dog or a good slice of pizza. A lot of times, you may also find that what used to appeal to you, doesn't anymore. If I gain a pound that day, so what. It's better than killing myself and then hitting the breaking point where I go completely off the board and enter self-sabotage mode.

That's a great attitude! I like that you allow yourself to indulge a bit, too! After several days of working hard, heck, you've earned it, right? Life is meant to be lived! I have red velvet cupcakes in my fridge that are beckoning me, but I'm waiting for the night of my big workout for the week (which usually precedes my day off) to eat one.
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    The best thing you can do is listen to your body, sometimes more than your mind! The mind will tell you that you need to workout even when your body is spent, and the mind will tell you that you can't go further when your body is still ready to kick butt. But make your choice consciously and don't fret afterward, because the guilt will not give you the rest you need :wink:

I, too, am a schedule-type person, and it drives me nuts to not do something I'm scheduled to do. I am training myself to target the schedule (scheduled for 7 days a week) and take a day off when my body needs it. Sometimes that ends up being twice a week, and sometime that ends up being once in two weeks. It seems to be working for me.

Good luck with your lifestyle change!!!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I leave 1 day off per week as an option.That way, I won't feel guilty for skipping. There are weeks where I really feel run down and need the rest, but if I'm feeling good and have time, I might throw in a cardio or something just for the heck of it.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You need a day off.
    Saturdays are an optional day off for me.
    Sundays I always take off.

You need time to recover
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs a day off! When you workout you tear down your muscle the only way to repair itself and get stronger is a rest day. I've been told over and over from credible sources the rest day is more important than the workout days!
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say something different from everyone else, but that's because this works for me and my lifestyle. I work out every day. It helps me keep my energy up- one, from being able to eat more and two, because working out gives me more energy. I do an hour of cardio each day. However, I try to mix it up- yesterday I went for a long run and today I will do the lower impact arc trainer.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I think the answer depends on how you view a "day off". I have one day off in the week, which is Fridays. The other 6 days of the week I run up 10 flights of stairs, walk an hour during lunch and then when I am home I do either Insanity or P90x. On my "day off" I still run up the 10 flights of stairs and and walk, but no additional workout at night. I find it increasingly difficult to get motivated on Saturday if I don't do a little bit of exercise on Friday.

On a downscaled plan, my coworker does the same but her everyday workout is doing jumping jacks for 15 min in the morning to get the heart going. Then at night she does either strength training/circuit training.