Protein Settings

Options
T0M0
T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
Hi All,

Just out of interest what has everyone set their protein percentage as under the "
Customize Your Fitness Goals" section"?.

I am exercising 7 days a week both in cardiovascular and in strength training. I have upped my protein intake with protein rich foods as well as supplements and just wondered what I should be aiming for each day. MFP has it set at 15% by default.

What's your thoughts.?
:wink:

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say that you should try for 1gram of protein for every pound...example 163lbs = 163 g protein.

I personally have mine set to 40% of my daily caloric intake.
  • Gvgoldmedal
    Options
    If you're looking to gain muscle I've heard .75-1.5 a grams of protien for every pound. So 75-150 grams of protien per 100 pounds. I've heard this from alot of people, though I know guys who lift professionally who take in 2 grams of protien per 1lb of body weight. Though that seems excessive for someone just looking to gain some lean muscle. Taking in 1.5 grams of protien a day per pound is not an easy taks. You have to really manage your diet and more than likely take supplements, which you've stated your doing.

You're going to get varying opinions either way.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Ranges directly from the Cooper Institute:

Fat: 20% to 35%
    Protein: 10% to 35%
    Carbs: 45% to 65%
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use the ever popular 40/30/30 ratio (that’s carbs/protein/fat).

I never manage to max out my protein, so I guess my actual intake percentages are quite different. But, I have made some changes to my diet recently in an effort to try and get in 100 grams of protein a day. Since strength-training and body weight resistance exercises are the bulk of my exercise right now, I felt I really needed to improve my protein intake.
  • mjg08060
    mjg08060 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    how do you customize your settings?