confused about something

Options
My BMR is currently at 1432 but my profile states 1790. I don't undertstand why they are different. I'm thinking this is the reason why I haven't seen a loss yet. Can someone explain, please?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that your calorie intake goal for the day and your BMR are different- they should be.

One is the ammount of calories your body needs to live in a coma. (BMR)
    The other is the ammount of Calories MFP suggests you give your body in order to lose/gain the ammount of weight you selected in your goals. (Calorie goal for the day.)

Does that help?

I edited to add an illustration... here's the settings I have.

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity 1,630 calories/day

Net Calories Consumed* Your Daily Goal 1,380 calories/ day

Daily Calorie Deficit 250 calories

Projected Weight Loss 0.5 lbs/ week

So my body needs 1,630 a day (including my sedentary lifestyle calories) and I have a deficit of 250 so my goal is lower so that I will lose about .5 pounds a week.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would guess that the 1432 BMR is for a sedentary lifestyle and the 1790 is for a very active lifestyle. The difference being how much you workout per day. If you are eating 1790 and not working out, then that would be why you are not seeing the results you want.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    now i am confused....lol

but if your BMR is a certain number, wouldn't your daily intake be closer to that number so that you lose weight???

for example, my BMR is 1413 and daily intake is 1420........
  • desirez131
    desirez131 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Okay I got it now..BMR is the number of cals your body burns without doing anything other than resting.

They other number is how much mfp suggest you burn

Got it..THANKS ALL. I guess I had a moment lol
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    baisleac is one smart weight loss cookie (and low cal too! lol) You are being VERY active Dez, dont short yourself.