Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

BMI

I just reached the high end (very high end) of a 'healthy' BMI....is it time to up my caloric intake or do I keep doing what Im doing and eat net 1200? Please, any input would be helpful. THANK YOU.

Replies

• Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    i have no idea because i'm miles off 'normal BMI' but just had to say massive congratulations!!!!
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Congratulations on achieving a healthy BMI - I am close but no cigar yet! I'd try to take a few more pounds off before going to maintenance but hey, whatever feels right for you.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Keep doing what you're doing. As long as you are inputting the right info in MFP then it will set you on the right guidelines.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    It depends on if you want to keep losing, or just maintain. MFP will calculate either goal. Personally, I want to be in midrange healthy or lower, that way I have some wiggle room!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Congratulations!!
    In my opinion, unless you are losing weight too fast or losing muscle instead of fat, keep doing what you are doing until you get to your goal weight!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I agree with keeping on with what you have been doing for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Look at your BMR on here though, and keep that number in mind as your "low net" number if you start to feel tired or irritable, or if your weightloss starts to hiccup a bit. Mine kept going for a lb or two and then I had to resign myself to slower weightloss. So just keep an eye out.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I am not yeat 'healthy' BMI but only just over, and having less to lose makes it harder to lose. I would aim to eat somewhere around or above your BMR - use this website or just google BMR calculator to work that out. That way you will still lose weight but your body won't strain at it.

Then as you get well into the healthy range gradually up your calories?
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Congratulations!!!!!!!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    i am about ,4 into the healthy number now --the bmi is a tad misleading because it doesnt take into account age--i reached the mid of healthy before last summer and drew nothing but bad comments from people i saw regularly and those who hadnt seen me for a long time--it also aged me about 10 years because my features were sucken!(even i had to admit that from the summer pics!
    my target was set by a photo of myself that was many years old! just aim for something that makes you happybecause now you have reached healthy--i am aiming for another 5lbs off (about ,3) because on my way back up i reckon that was my most comfortable weight--its just maintence i struggle with!
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    thanks everyone... i DO want to be in the middle to lower healthy range i was just confused because i have it set to lose 2lbs / week but mfp is doing it at 1.1lbs/ week due to my weight?? just wasnt sure if this was healthy or if i should be trying to lose at a slower pace now. I guess i will continue on and good luck to all!!! I still have 14 lbs to go too!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    thanks everyone... i DO want to be in the middle to lower healthy range i was just confused because i have it set to lose 2lbs / week but mfp is doing it at 1.1lbs/ week due to my weight?? just wasnt sure if this was healthy or if i should be trying to lose at a slower pace now. I guess i will continue on and good luck to all!!! I still have 14 lbs to go too!!

if you have only 14lbs to go then you should be losing no more than 1/2 lb a week. your muscles will thank you for that. MFP is not letting you lose faster because to take in less calories would take you below the 1200 number.

Check out your BMR, and use that as your calorie goal. And reset MFP to 0.5lb loss.
  • meggonkgonk
    It won't let you go lower than a 1200 calorie goal per day. So, at 141, you burn roughly between 1700 and 1800 calories a day from daily activity (your BMR will likely be close to about 1350, maybe 1400?). So let's say 1710, minus 1200 the minimum, that 510 deficit per day, or a total of 3570 (1lb plus a little). To lose 2 lbs per week your defict would have to be 1000 giving your body only 710 calories per day which is just not safe.

2lbs a week is generally speaking too much to expect, but as long as you are losing and happy with te pace you are losing at then staying at 1200 is OK
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    i have bumped up my calories to net 1300/day for a weight loss projection of .9lbs/week. Im having a really hard time thinking about eating extra calories...especially 1400 or 1500 a day for .5lb/ week weight loss. im seriously getting anxiety, anyone else go through this?
  • meggonkgonk
    Yup :smile:

Just add something small to each of your meals. All else fails, have a glass of chocolate milk and a few almonds.

It's ok :drinker: