My breakfast uses most of my calories

grace173
grace173 Posts: 180 Member
Hi,

I want to lose 28lbs and based on that I have 1200 calories to use in a day but my diary so far has been above that. I will earn back calories as I increase my excercise so I am not too worried about that aspect but its the amount of calories I use on my breakfast is an issue. I tried to cut back this morning and already I am hungry.

Anyone else have this problem??

Replies

• im the exact same!!! but you need the most calories first thing in the morning to start your day of
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    How many calories are your breakfast? I find lunch is usually my biggest since I am at work and getting something from a local place. When at home, I do the cooking so I control the calories for both breakfast and dinner.

One of the breakfasts I like to make is a one egg veggie omelet. I think I calculated it at under 200 calories. And I pack the veggies in that bad boy so it really fills me up.
  • my friend says you should eat (in terms of calories) like a prince in the morning, an average person at lunch, and a pauper at dinner. :)
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    make your diary public and we can try give you suggestions. I never eat more than 300 calories at breakfast (beans on toast) but try and stay under 200 calories ( cereal + milk )
  • jjellii
    jjellii Posts: 1 Member
    I find that if I have a little bit of protien with my breakfast it stays with me longer. I have also been trying to spread my meals out so I am eating a little something every 2-3 hours. Nuts help a lot! I have also just discovered that if I enter my items that I am planning to eat first thing in the morning it kepps me on track better! Hope something in here might help you!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Just make sure the breakfast calories are good ones- protein & fiber- not sugar and (empty) carbs.

I ate 1 bowl of plain oatmeal with cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of brown sugar forever and I've just now added 1/4 cup of milk to the equation. Right at 200 calories.

I should add that really, that's low. I eat more as the day goes on. It's not a "good" thing but I was raised on a big southern dinner and I do still enjoy having dinner with my husband so I tend to eat more then.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    My intake is supposed to be 1290. I eat about 150-200 for breafast. (6:30 am) I have a granola bar or something around 10-11, then lunch is about 200 calories or so around 12. Supper is my large calorie amount b/c I know I will be cooking for my family and will eat some of the same foods as them. Oh, I have an orange or something around 3 or 3:30. Lots of small meals or healthy snacks helps.
  • seaybl24
    seaybl24 Posts: 9
    I personally use Oatmeal, it breaks down slower and usually lasts until lunch.
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Eat foods that keep you full longer. Oatmeal with apples is a good option! Protein is good too, so having eggs (which isn't overly high in calories) would keep you fuller longer! Also, eat slower, you'll feel fuller with less food. Maybe eat with your non-dominant hand.
  • Yes, It's a good thing that breakfast has the most amount of calories, as breakfast is the meal that gets you set for your day.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    A big breakfast is great! Don't worry about that.

Also, are you trying to lose 2 lbs a week or 1 lb a week? You may need to adjust your goals down a bit, especially starting off, so that you lose more slowly. Most people aim for bigger goals when they start a new diet program, then later adjust it down. I think you should take the opposite approach. Going from eating whatever you want to drastically reducing calories is not only a pain in the butt, it can also put undo stress on the body.

You should gradually reduce the amount you eat, then gradually introduce exercise, etc, etc.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    can't read your diary so cannot offer any suggestions.

i just try to plan to have 'filling' healthy breakfast (which usually ends up being low cal.. tis the nature of oatmeal and fruit *L*)...
    feel free to browse my diary if you want, it is public *S*
    my big meal of the day is usually Lunch
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    I usually start my day with fruit and wait about an hour before I have anything else. I usually have oatmeal next because it's more filling. I try to save my bigger calories for dinner so that I can have the same meal as my kids.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I had the same problem until I found OATMEAL! Oatmeal is definitely something that will keep you full longer. Don't get the sweet instant kind though, just get plain oatmeal. You can mix a tbsp of peanut butter too :)
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Not sure what you're eating, but if you eat a good breakfast full of protein and fiber, it'll keep you full longer! I keep my breakfasts around 200 calories but eat good foods that keep me full until lunch. Oatmeal, peanut butter on toast, Kashi cereal, etc. are great options that have good amounts of protein :)
  • timmsm
    timmsm Posts: 1 Member
    I find cereals to be the best for breakfast if I want to avoid hunger. I also ensure I have something sweet around 11am and a very light lunch around 1pm, this keeps me going until dinner. Are you making sure your drinking enough fluids as thirst can sometimes be mistaken for hunger. Keep up the good work :)
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    I'm fortunate that I am able to eat 1500 calories for my weight loss plan. However, I bring a hard boiled egg to work with me to have whenever the hunger strikes (70 calories). I also bring the 100 calorie packs of almonds, just in case. The suggestions for bringing fruit and veggies will help as well...and, I find that some days are just hungry days. I try to bring lots of options just in case so that I don't eat things I shouldn't! Good luck!
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    If you're going to overload a meal, breakfast is the best one. You're body is coming out of state where it reduces calorie burn, and a good breakfast will kickstart your metabolism for the day. Make sure you incorporate exercise into your routine. An extra 300 cals a day of food can make meal decisions a lot easier, and make your weight loss strategy sustainable. Good luck. SSG
  • JoliDame
    JoliDame Posts: 15
    Low calorie, high fiber meals can help with the hunger. Egg beaters with a multi-grain toast, jam and coffee can help. Non-instant oatmeal also is great filler and some of the high fiber cereals with almond milk should help you feel fuller.

i try to use a lot of veggies, like some of the others have said.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    I'd rather lose weight slower than feel hungry throughout the day, so I upped my calories to 1400 a day. I divide them in 5 meals, the first four are 300 cal (I often go over a tiny bit), the last one is 200 (more of a snack)... I never go hungry because I make my first meal a good combination of carbs and protein (whole wheat bun with one egg/skim milk and spinach) right after exercise, then the second one can be less fillig (like a salad), then the third one can have again some protein like chicken or turkey...

You'll have to play around a little, but eating every 3 hours is a good place to start. BTW, after knowing my body a bit more, I found most times I don't eat the last meal, so that makes it 1200 cal a day and NO hunger :smile: