Am I needing to change my cardio already?

Options
Ok. So I have a question and need some advice. Last month, a co-worker gave me a 1 year gym membership. She won it and already had a membership and asked if I wanted it. Of course, how could I pass something like that up? I had been wanting to join a gym anyway and this just landed in my lap!!

So I have been faithfully going since 03/21/11. I have missed just two days since that date (25 out of 27 days). The first days I did the treadmill, then I got brave and tried the elliptical. I thought I was near death that first time, I only lasted 10 minutes. But I pushed on and now I can be on that elliptical for 40+ mins with no problems. I am still sweating but I noticed that my recovery time is very small once I have completed my workout. By the time I walk out of the gym and get into my vehicle, I am breathing normally. For the past two weeks, I have stuck mainly to the elliptical for 30 mins and I walk twice a day, 15 mins each time.

I'm wondering if I need to switch up my workout now. Is my body getting used to my elliptical workout? I have been trying to pick up the speed (I was working at about a 3 but have pushed myself to keep it between 4.5-5).

The only reason I am wondering is because I have seen very little movement in the scale this week. I've lost about 5 pounds in almost 4 weeks and was seeing changes regularly up until this week.

Any advice or is it too soon for me to wonder about this?

Replies

• burnguru25
    Options
    A much-missed point with cardio is that most people focus only on elliptical or single-machine workouts. To progress, you may want to slowly introduce core or muscle development workouts. You will actually burn more calories and get a much better workout than cardio alone. Speak with a personal trainer about creating a plan to increase your workout and weight-loss benefits.
    Good Luck!
  • caseyclementson
    caseyclementson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got the right idea - time to switch it up! Some ideas: try a treadmill or a stairclimber. Add some weight lifting (maybe some bicep curls to get you started). Try a class. Talk to a trainer. Most gyms offer a free training session.

Good luck!
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I usually mix up my cardio through the week. Elliptical, walk on the treadmill at a decent incline, run/walk intervals on treadmill... I keep meaning to try out the rowing machine too.

Bottom line - it never hurts to mix up cardio - and it would probably help you for sure!
  • wilkybeal
    wilkybeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies absolutely do require mixing up our routines to move the hand on the scale. Most trainers would give you a variety of exercises to do in addition to the elliptical to engage your whole body.

I have a question and a suggestion:

1. Have you started strength or resistance training? Weight training or resistance training is so vital to losing weight and burning calories. It helps build muscle, which burns more calories while you are at rest.

2. Have you tried interval training? If you love the elliptical, there's nothing wrong with that. But your body is absolutely getting used to it. But you can mix things up even on that. You should start out at a comfortable pace (level 4 or 5) and then for one minute (shorter or longer depending), bump the resistance up to 7 or 8, and then go back down to level 4 or 5 to recover for 5 minutes, then go back up. Repeat four or five times.

3. I would try to go to a class once a week (to start). If the gym offers them. Classes are a great way to experience variety in exercise. Plus, you're being instructed (which is motivating) and you're with a whole room of women and men who have the same goal as you do. And watching them work hard will inspire you to not quit for that hour.

Just a few ideas!

I experienced the same plateau you're describing. I started attending Zumba classes, various yoga classes, and got a trainer (for three sessions) who gave me a huge list of activities to do with weights and my own body resistance. It's made a world of difference, even in my energy level. I sleep better too.

Best of luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I notice this happens to me too. Every once in a while I hit a week with no loss. For me, I have to add some calories to my diet. Then I'm good. I also added some strength training into my week. That helped too.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    If I remember correctly, I've read articles about fitness and fitness levels, etc. and experts do recommend you change your workout and eating habits if you've hit a plateau. For example...do the elliptical one week, then treadmill, bicycle another week etc. and also include weight training in between. So you would do cardio(Monday), weights (Tues), cardio, weights(Wed.) so forth and so on... whatever you do keep on moving... success to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Remember that term "homeostasis" from 10th grade biology? Your body LOVES to pick a spot & stay there; it's the reason we all hit plateaus and THE reason you need to "trick" your body into continually changing by changing your routine at least every few weeks. The best way to keep it guessing is HIIT -- high intensity interval training. You can google this or go to a website which I think is intervals.net or intervaltraining.net, which has some good routines on there for you that you can adapt to the gym.

Good luck!:happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some variety in there! Are there classes you could try? Or is it just machines and weights - can you get an instructor to come up with a routine for you?

And exercise will affect your shape, not the scale.

What a kind thoughtful friend!
  • Lsnitkin
    Lsnitkin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wilkybeal said it all. Just make sure that you are eating enough, and keep your diet balanced (Helathy carbs, fats, and protein). The biggest mistake people make is to cut their calories too far. Follow the MFP plan, and you will be successful.
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your primary goal is. If you're still looking to lose lbs, its hard to argue the need for continued cardio. If your recovery time is too short, or too easy, you may need to increase the intensity of the workout by increasing the resistance on the machine you are using. The best way to monitor this is through your heart rate. I suggest investing in an inexpensive HRM (heart rate monitor) which can give you the most accurate readings. Chaging equipment is a good idea regardless, as different machines will work different muscles as well, and it varies up your routine to keep you more interested. I often use 2-4 different cardo machines per session. (Treadmill/elliptical/stepper/arc trainer/rowing machine).

Keep up the great work.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    See if they gym has instructors who will do a review session with you and suggest changes to your routine.

Both the treadmill and elliptical machine will probably have different programs, the names will probably depend on the brand of machine but try varying some "hill" or "interval" type of settings, increase resistance, do things like that to add some variety. You can also go backwards on the elliptical.

Jump on a rowing machine for 5-10 minutes too.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    good info
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the replies!!

I have added some strength training, we have a weight machine at home (a friend sold it to us cheap! She didn't want to move it across country to her knew house). I do that 3 x's per week.

I got some great advice today and will start shaking up the cardio a bit. I have been interested in Zumba. I know of a place that is doing Zumba classes so I think I may check that out once or twice per week.

Also, we just got some cardio kickboxing for our Wii so maybe it's time to try that too and I have been considering running on the treadmill so perhaps it's time to add some of that in too.

As far as the elliptical goes, I enjoy doing it and I have added interval; 1-2 minutes as hard as I can go. You're responses reminded me I have been doing just a manual 30 minutes on it. I just remembered there are different levels on it. Perhaps it's time to try one of those.

Thanks everyone!
  • seabreeze6
    seabreeze6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For reasons not relevant here, I rely on the elliptical for most of my cardio.

If you want a workout more targeted to you, rather than relying on the programs on the machine, I suggest you go to the Precor website and check out the sample workouts they have there. The workouts are a progressive system where you stay at each level for two weeks (or longer if you want) before you move on to the next. The workouts are variable in terms of incline to focus on different muscle groups, but the difficulty is all based on your heart rate.

So, for example, you do 5 minutes at incline 9 and keep your heart rate at 65-75% of your max, then you do 5 minutes at incline 3 and keep your heart rate at 55-65% of your max. As you progress through the levels, you make it harder by backpedaling or using no hands. (When I take my hands off, I'm guaranteed to see an increase in my heart rate.)

Of course, this is easiest if you have a HRM or even just a chest strap that the machine can read. (I use a Polar chest strap and my Precor can read it.)
  • temperoath
    Options
    In order to bust through that plateau, you need to:
    A: Increase the duration of your cardio
    B: Increase the intensity of your cardio
    C: Do both!

You should strive weekly to improve on one or both of these areas.

Use your heart rate and RPE (rating of perceived exertion) to determine if you are working hard enough.

Once your body feels comfortable with a certain amount of strain/time, it will baseline and try to maintain, thats why its important to push it further every week! You'll be glad you did by seeing increased weight loss and increased endurance!

I also agree with the others in that you should implement strength training (if you haven't already done so) because bigger, stronger muscles require more fuel, burning more calories at rest and during exercise!

Happy losing! :)