Tips on eating back exercise calories

Options
I'm not a huge eater,I've suffered with eating problems in the past and still do really but less so, so for me to get to 1200 is hard enough (i'll have days where i'll eat 2000 or more but usually it's when i'm stuffing my face full of **** ,followed by purging or exercising all night)
Most days though i'll eat around 900-1100 ,sometimes with exercise,sometimes without.
According to MFP my metabolism is 1347 ,so pretty low probably lower since i've more than likely ****ed my body up through years of going through a binge/purge/binge/starve cycle.

I find it really hard to eat a ton of food and keep it down ,is there anything I can do to up my cals but not feel like i'm eating complete crap?
I'm not to keen on protein shakes but just nice healthy foods will do ,any reccommendations
and also tips on how I can incorporate more food into my daily diet?

Edit:Ahh crap posted this in the wrong bit,can a mod move it? :)

Replies

• tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can understand the difficulty in eating all your calories, especially when you have or have had eating issues in the past...(me too). I try to have healthy options at home and at work. For me, hard boiled eggs (70 calories), Starbucks Via cinammon spice (60 calories), 100 calorie pack of almonds, fruit cups (65 calories) and of course, veggies. I don't feel guilty for eating any of the things mentioned because I know most of them are healthy for me (except the Starbucks via...but, I give myself permission to have it!) Good luck! I hope my suggestions help.....
  • kristy3119
    kristy3119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I understand...it's really hard to change your thinking once a habit (especially a bad one....) gets stuck in your head. I've dealt with the same types of things in the past and am finally learning how to think a bit more rationally about food and exercise.

For me, a good way to eat enough calories without feeling like I'm eating too much food is to eat things that are a bit on the "high" side calorie-wise but still good for you (like nuts, nut butters, bananas). That way you're getting the calories you need, plus things like good fats, fiber, etc.

Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • TeraMarieD
    Options
    Peanut butter! You only need about a serving to consume nearly 200 calories.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just add a bit to each meal- it's really not as diffiuclt as it sounds - eat calorie dense foods, and don't get fat free versions of healthy foods (a fat free yogurt takes out part of it's usefulness-- those are good fats). Nuts, nut butters (if you have a blender you can experiment with making your own!) Avacados, oils, REAL cheeses and dairy products.

Check out this site for some great vegan ideas also (I'm not vegan and I LOVE it): www.ohsheglows.com
  • TeraMarieD
    Options
    Also guacamole! I love it and it full of good fats. I do not have the issue of not eating enough so I hardly ever get to eat it. eat it with whole grain pita, or on turkey burgers.
  • JoEllen92
    JoEllen92 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I already eat loads of eggs, they're yummy

I shall buy some guacamole next time I go shopping. I'll also try eating more banana's because they're higher in calories than most fruit but I don't fell horribly guilty eating them.

I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter,it's horrible.
    I think part of my problem is I tend to snack/graze and I don't really eat proper meals often (apart from breakfast),I don't like eating to much at once and I hate the feeling of fullness.
    I'm thinking home made smoothies might be a good idea? and trying to get in at least 2 proper meals a day so breakfast and dinner,instead of just snacking on a yoghurt/chocolate bar/fruit.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter,it's horrible.
    I think part of my problem is I tend to snack/graze and I don't really eat proper meals often (apart from breakfast),I don't like eating to much at once and I hate the feeling of fullness.
    I'm thinking home made smoothies might be a good idea? and trying to get in at least 2 proper meals a day so breakfast and dinner,instead of just snacking on a yoghurt/chocolate bar/fruit.

If you dislike the taste of pb (a concept utterly and completely foriegn to me :smile: ) you may consider trying homemade nut butters- it's actually pretty exciting and fun to do-it yourself and you can be assured that there aren't super crazy ingredients in them! This is one of my faves: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/12/4-ingredient-dark-chocolate-almond-butter/

Snacking is fine- in fact, it's pretty widely recommended!-- you don't need to sit down and have a big meal to get your cals up. And smoothies are a great idea. To help get your veggies in, you might consider www.greenmonstermovement.com - you can make green smoothies with spinach, kale or avacado and have them be either sweet or savory!
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    walnuts are yummy and higher in cals