Fish & Chip Calories - Are they right?

Options
In our local chippy last night there was a poster on the wall from the Fish and Chip Council (or something like that) stating Fish & Chips are 585 calories per 100g.

I didnt get chance to weigh a portion but I am sure it is way over 100g. If so, it would mean most of the ones in the database are very wrong.

Just a word of warning. Most weeks I have f&c. This could be the reason that I havent lost weight for about 3 weeks because the calories are wrong on the database.

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's fried fish...how much does the data base say it is?
  • Hoplost
    Hoplost Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump - glad you ask that i've been craving fish and chips all week
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    This is from the Food Standard Agency "average portion of fish and chips, which contains 595 calories and 9.42g of fat. " But it is not counting the Tartar sauce you might put on it and a serving of fish means only one regular size piece :bigsmile: Also another site says 838 CALORIES

. But be warned - an average-sized serving from a fish and chip shop gives you 48g of fat. If the shop is generous with the chips, the calorie count will shoot up to well over 1,000. So if true the fat alone will throw your weight loss in to a tail spin
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Stay away from anything fried while you're trying to lose weight...you'll get to your goal so much faster! Once in a while may be ok, but definitely not every week. Remember, we're all here to develop healthier eating habits and lifestyles! :)
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    This is for beer battered cod. If you add chips and tarter sauce I would think you would be at around 1000 calories and 50 grams of fat.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 4 chunks
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 411Calories from Fat 225.1
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 25.01g 38%
    Saturated Fat 3.52g 17%
    Cholesterol 43mg 14%
    Sodium 16.25mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 16.58g 5%
    Dietary Fiber 0.52g 2%
    Sugars 0.24g
    Protein 28.19g 56%
    Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 51%
    Carbs 16%
    Protein 27%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calories needs.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/beer-battered-cod-2/#ixzz1JcTwHNyr
  • aclamann
    aclamann Posts: 2
    Options
    If it looks too good to be true...

To double check the database, try breaking the meal down a little:
    * Generic - Deep Fried Cod: 200 cal / fillet
    * Generic - French Fries (searching for chips won't help): 380 cal / 4 oz
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything fried while you're trying to lose weight...you'll get to your goal so much faster! Once in a while may be ok, but definitely not every week. Remember, we're all here to develop healthier eating habits and lifestyles! :)

You can eat fried foods, you just should be aware that they are loaded with sodium as well as calories. I'm all for indulging, having a bit of foodie fun here and there, but yea a big plate of fish and chips will throw a kink in that pretty quick.

To give you an idea- Most french fries are 200-400 calories per serving.

If you see something in the data base that seems low or high, google it and do a little research before committing to it.
  • CrimsonOra
    Options
    a portion from a chippy would be way more than 100g so you can probably double that at least. a bit of cod would probably be about 170-200 cals before battering it and deep frying it and adding deep fried chips. i would say it's probably about 1200 cals, maybe even more, so if you are having it every week you are likely undoing any hard work you put in through the week.

just a thought.....:smile:

update: just checked the database and a fish supper comes up at over 1300 cals :ohwell:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    One way to check (warning very labor intensive) is to get a fish and chip recipe and put ingredients into the data base one at a time.

This will get you a much more detailed breakdown of the calories.

Frankly 500-600 calories sounds kind of low.