Max Heart Rate Going Up?

Options
I have a question for the experts/trainers out there....

I noticed today that my maximum heart rate is higher now (8 weeks into diet changes/workout) than it was when I first started. Is this normal? (It's still below the maximum range for me, but it is still higher than it was). I don't know if it's related, but I've lost about 20 pounds in that 8 weeks.

Thanks!

Replies

• temperoath
    Options
    Its hard to pinpoint exactly what your maximum heart rate is. How are you figuring it?
    The baseline to figure it is 220-age, not including other factors like overall health, weight, diseases, etc. There are other more scientific methods, but the 220-age is a good start.
  • VTGrumpy
    VTGrumpy Posts: 7
    Options
    I think I mis-spoke (typed?) a bit. I meant that my maximum heart rate in a particular cardio exercise is now higher than it was - i.e., my max heart rate on the ellipical during a 30 minute workout 2 weeks ago was 142. Today, in the same workout, it was 150.

If it helps, I'm getting my heart rate from a Polar FT4.

(FYI- My calculated "maximum" would be 182).

Thanks!
  • temperoath
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Thats not a big deal. It could be based on a number of factors like your diet, the amount of sleep you've been getting, slight miscalculation of the HR monitor (they all have a slight margin of error), etc. You may even be getting a little more intense with your workout and your RPE (perceived exertion) has gotten lower, allowing you to work a bit harder with out being noticeably more tired. (more endurance). Thats a good thing! Don't worry unless it gets way out of whack, or you feel physically ill. Then go see your Doctor. Keep it up and keep progressing!
  • VTGrumpy
    VTGrumpy Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks! I thought I might be something like that...!

:happy: