Italian Chicken Sausage with Brown Rice and Peas

ASkinnyGirlInside
ASkinnyGirlInside Posts: 17
edited September 26 in Recipes
Three things happened while cooking this meal. First, I was so hungry I could eat a cow. I had planned to have a lettuce wrapped burger but discovered the 98% lean ground hamburger I purchased was an oddly colored brown. After deciding it wasn't worth food poisoning or mad cow disease, I tossed it in the trash.

Second, while looking for a backup lunch meal and contemplating McDonald's chicken nuggets, Trader Joe's saved the day! I was excited to try something new with the leftover chicken sausage I found in the freezer. I thought: "lets see, I have this delicious chicken sausage, frozen peas, onions and garlic about to go bad, and brown rice. Sounds edible."

Third, I almost cut the top of my thumb clear off. Because of this, I am only giving this dish a one thumb up, as the other is severely injured. Yea... ouch to the tenth power. Anyway, for this quick single, one serving recipe:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 links Trader Joe's Italian Style Chicken Sausage
1 cup chopped sweet onion
Fresh garlic, chopped (you know I like the garlic- I used three large cloves)
1 cup cooked Whole Grain Brown Rice (I use 10 Minute Success)
1 cup cooked peas

Heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and saute until translucent. Chop sausage links (I defrosted mine in the microwave first of course), add to pan, cook until brown. Add cooked brown rice and peas. Plate up and enjoy. That's it!

So in the time it would have taken to order McDonald's, I treated myself to a yummy and healthy lunch. I could fit two links into my nutrition intake today so this meal equated to 453 cals, 55 carbs, 14 fat, and 33 protein. Not to toot my own horn, I am pretty proud albeit rather sore about my thumb.

Check out full post and pictures at: http://askinnygirlinside.blog.com/2011/04/15/one-thumb-up-recipe-italian-chicken-sausage-with-brown-rice-and-peas/

Replies

• DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    You're the cutest thing ever and thanks for the recipe! :flowerforyou: Really does sound yummy! I really SUCK in the kitchen. :grumble: I hate to cook but LOVE to eat!!!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Wild rice might be good in there too.

And to share a story with your finger...my mom sliced the top of her middle finger off with a mandolin, which the dog then ate. :sick:
    Lesson: Use the finger guard...and a sharp knife is a safer knife. :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Oh dear, but did the dog eat the finger or the mandolin....?
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    The finger...
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Sounds great!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
This discussion has been closed.