To all CANADIANS!

Options
Hey
i am moving to canada
soon and i am so concerned that there isnt a trader joe's or whole foods or anything! i wanted to know what are some good health food or organic grocery stores in montreal?

Replies

• FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    Hey
    i am moving to canada
    soon and i am so concerned that there isnt a trader joe's or whole foods or anything! i wanted to know what are some good health food or organic grocery stores in montreal?
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm in NS, so I have no idea if there is anything like that there....sorry!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I can't help you out there, but my boyfriend is from Canada. Him and I are busy doing all his paper work to get him legal down here, because his mom never finished it. He left Canada when he was 11 or 12 so I'm sure he won't remember what kind of stores were around.

Good luck with the move!
    Rach
  • NikyGyrl
    Options
    There's a store I've heard of called EcollegeY .... all Organics.
    Here's a link
    http://www.greenpeople.org/webpage.cfm?memid=19653&pmtlevel=1&linkpage=http://www.ecollegey.com

Welcome to Canada, you're gonna love it!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hey
    i am moving to canada

Welcome soon to be Montrealer!! I live in Montreal, the West Island. There are many orgainic places here, depends where you are going to be living. Most large grocery stores do have an organic section and Loblaws does have a small health food section. Near us there is a store called the Health Tree, has all sorts of supplements and organic/health foods. I am sure there are more in the Greater Montreal area, would have to check in a yellow pages phone book. I don't have one for Montreal, only for Island of Montreal West. Of course, there are also a few open air markets scattered throughout where you could get farm grown produce, but with our weather, that is seasonal.

Email me when you get here, maybe I could be of more help. Good luck and hope this helps

Carol
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You will LOVE Montreal - it is an amazing city with a European feel. There is also amazing shopping there that rivals NYC - and great options for young women like yourself. There is a Whole Foods here in Toronto where I am, so I am guessing that you will have a similar option in Montreal.

When do you move? Keep us posted!
    :flowerforyou:
  • ShellyBee
    ShellyBee Posts: 117
    Options
    Most of our Canadian retail grocery stores supply organically grown and produced products.
    Another great tip that might benefit you a great deal. Simply introduce yourself around at the local grocery store most managers are very willing to bring in the products that you want or need. You never know if others are thinking and wanting the same thing and just haven't bothered to make it known.
    I wish you all the best in Canada, we are a truly beautiful country. With some of the greatest people around, you should find everyone very friendly and willing to accomodate you.
    ENJOY MY GREAT COUNTRY!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You'll get to buy all the time the Canadian Special K cereal!! Not fair! hissyfit8wr.gif

Seriously though--you've got to try Special K once you get to Canada--very different than the Special K we're forced to deal with in the States. I absolutely love the Canadian version of Special K!
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    You're gonna love Canada. I'm a transplant here also , Im from Tennessee and now living in Ontario. As most others said, your best bet is to do a search online AND most well known Grocery stores do supply an organic/vegetarian/health food section. Here in Ontario we also have the Organic Garage everything instore is 100% organic. So seems to me a search is gonna be your best bet.

I've been here in Canada for 8 years and love it. Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    Canada does have some great organic places to shop. I am from Ontario and especially in grocery stores, they have huge sections where you can buy these kinds of products
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Canada does have some great organic places to shop. I am from Ontario and especially in grocery stores, they have huge sections where you can buy these kinds of products

Unfortunately, sometimes wonder if Montreal, Quebec, is really part of Canada!! Because of labelling laws (everything needs to be bilingual or French) we miss out on a lot of stuff that is available just over the border in Ontario, not to mention the States. Companies don't want to be bothered sending their goods here is it becomes expensive to change/add labels