Disagree with BMI

Options
t_rog
t_rog Posts: 363 Member
So my "healthy" BMI tells me that I should be between 107-145 lbs. I can honestly say that 145(technically being what I should weigh MAX) would look horrible on me! I'm a curvy person(lots in the T and A dept), and I'm not at all looking to be super skinny. Is it okay to shoot for higher than my healthy BMI? I think 155 would be the lowest I'd ever go, but my goal is 160. I KNOW that would look good on me, but the BMI scale says i'd be smack dab in the middle of Overweight. Is that fair? I feel like it's a little unforgiving..

Replies

• sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yeah, mine wants me to be the same. I'm 5' 6" and curvy, and I have lots of muscle. I'm currently 150 and I think I look pretty good. If I were below 135 I would be skeletal. Screw the BMI charts - you know what's healthy and what will look good.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    It's your life, not the BMI calculator's. Follow your judgment :) I will say though that the leaner you are, the more you avoid a lot of health problems and live longer. But that's just my 2 cents :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I would suggest, get to the goal of 160 and then decide. It is difficult to plan ahead sometimes.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    BMI isn't a perfect system, get the weight you feel good at or talk to your doctor to find out what weight you should be.
  • Love_cup
    Love_cup Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel like BMI is set to how society want's us to look. I should be between 110-130 but thats to small since I as well have T and A. Go for what you feel would look good for you and you should feel energized and healthy
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I think that you have to get rid of the numbers and do what works for you. :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You must be 5'4" like me. My goal is 155 even though it's above 145. I think that looks fine on me and is sustainable. Not that I wouldn't look fine at 145 too - just not sure if I could sustain it though. I think it looks healthy on me - it's a size 4/6 on me.
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    From reading a lot online about the BMI Charts - it is designed for average sized people & if you have a small frame you should subtract 10% from the recommendation and if you have a large frame you should add 10% to the recommendation. So if it recommends 145 adding 10% would bump the number up to 159.5.
  • jennrdrgz22
    jennrdrgz22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issues / questions. But someone once told me the BMI chart doesn't incorporate muscle. not sure if that's true or not ... but muscle obviously weighs more than fat.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The BMI is a guide...that being said it's not based on how you would look at a certain weight, it's based on the percentage of body fat that you are carrying. The bmi is a number that says your body runs most efficiently at this percentage of fat.

I personally think that if you are happy at a certain weight and your doctor says your blood pressure, cholesterol, sugars etc. aren't in danger then stay where you're happy.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The weight range BMI is kind of generic. We all have heard about how muscle weighs more than fat and all that. The most accurate way to judge BMI is by doing a tape test (taking measurements). Here's a site I found through google (there were more search results for "BMI Tape Test", but I picked the first one that seemed to actually be answering your question) http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html, Much like this site, you put in your demographics (and it asks for your measurements too). When your measurements are taken into account, it should be a bit more 'fair'.

I kind of have the same issue. My top end 'healthy' bmi is 150. When I was in highschool I weighed about 190, and probably could have stood to loose 10 - 20 pounds, but no way would I have been healthy if I lost 40. I think as long as you feel good, feel good about the way you look, and aren't displaying any medical issues (high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cardiac issues, etc), you're good. That's just my two cents on it.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    BMI is a tool for comparing populations against each other or for tracking changes within a population. For that it works great. For individuals it may or may not work and measures like body fat percentage would probably be a better choice.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    You have to make that decision...if you are happy at 155 then go for it. The BMI is seriously flawed. you could say take 2 identical twins, height build etc but give one a low body fat % and higher muscle mass and she will weigh more than her sister...who is healthier? Now who will be berated at the Drs office and be refused insurance if her bmi is not low enough...very flawed!
  • JamesGregory
    JamesGregory Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 37.8. I am considered obese according to the BMI. If I get down to the weight I'd like, about 205, I will still be considered overweight. If I got down to the 184 or less that says I am 'normal,' people would think I am sick; way too small for me. BMI is not the best scale, go by your pounds and how you feel about yourself.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think that BMI is the best way to measure things. But I also think that it can serve as a guideline, especially if there is a history of health issues in your family.

Both of my parents are type 2 diabetics, so my doc wants me in the "healthy" range. Hard to hear after I've lost 50#. But I used to say the first #50 was for my health, and the rest is for me. Besides, I still want to lose more as it is. I'm still overweight according to BMI but I eat well, exercise, and my stats (blood work, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.) are excellent, so he doesn't give me a hard time about it.
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    My take on BMI is like so many other things.. its a Average and doesn't take into account a lot of additional factors such as bone structure and density -- I agree with what one of the other ppl on here said.. get to where you're comfortable and see how that looks and then talk with your Doctor.. my BMI weight is supposed to be 174 -- I think that would be a little too low.. so the way I'm doing it is.. I'm going to get myself to 200 or maybe 199 (just so I can be in onederland) and then look at myself and see whats what.. I'm also going to look at body fat % vs Lean Muscle at that point and then I can make some additional decisions of what my next big goal should or shouldn't be..

So in short Screw the numbers lets just get healthy and we all know what looks good and feels good for us :)

Hope everyone has a GREAT day!!!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Every body is different, so I think you should use your best judgement. That being said, I thought that my curves were permanent, and that I would never have slim hips no matter my weight. Then I started running. (about 15 miles a week, total) Suddenly the hips disappeared and I dropped 10 more pounds without trying. So just be open minded! I feel better than I ever have in my life, and look slimmer than I did as a teen, even though I weighed less then (but was less fit).
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My BMI is definitely off too. It says I am just barely overweight. My stomach bulge says otherwise. Stomach weight is most dangerous too (bad genetics unfortunately in that area) and there is no way that 132 (BMI of 25) is actually right for me. I think it depends on where we all carry our weight not just for health reasons but also because having a curvy figure is sexy (big boobs etc) whereas a big fat stomach is...not sexy.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I agree, my BMI says I could get down to 105, I couldn't even imagine how gross I'd look at 105. My goal is 125.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you happy and healthy is what you should aim for.

I'm 5ft 4 and I am supposed to hit the 107-145 mark too. YEAH RIGHT! LOL... My 14yr old daughter who is 5ft 9 weighs 100lbs and she is a bony little thing. No way would 107 look right on me. My boobs would have me toppling over all the time. LOL

I am currently 199 - down from 295... I will be happy at 175.... but would be interested in 150.