What Carb., Protein, Fat proportions % are working for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• SUZANNEGAY
    Options
    If you haven't changed anything, how do you know what percentages mfp is measuring? How do you change your percentages? Do you know what percentages are recommended?
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fat

I'm a personal trainer and that's my intake exactly. It's great! You don't burn muscle for energy because your muscles have enough energy from your carbohydrates. You have enough protein to build the muscle you're earning when you work out. And, after you build that muscle, your body becomes more efficient at consuming your unwanted fat.

The key is to make sure you're getting enough calories every day.

Best of luck to you!

That's about where I fall too, although I may vary anywhere within the range established by the Cooper Institute (Fat: 20% to 35%, Protein 10% to 35%, and Carbs 45% to 65%), depending on my activity, goals and just "life." It's worked great for me in terms of losing a significant number of pounds and MORE importantly, really dropping my body fat percentage and increasing my lean muscle mass. And for many of my clients. Find your own healthy sweet spot and go for it! :)
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi .. and welcome aboard .. nice folks here ...

To customize your nutrition goals, click on the "My Home" tab, then click on "Goals", then "Change Goals". Choose the "Custom" option, and you'll be taken to a page where you can set your goals to whatever values you'd like.
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to limit my carbs to at least 70g or so a day and working towards below 50 net carbs a day. The Ketosis Diet is very interesting to me and it recommends following a 5% Carb, 30% Protein and 65% Fat ratio. At the moment I'm doing the South Beach diet (Don't really have to track anything, even Calories for the most part) and I'm loving the results. I'm no way close to being any kind of expert, so I'll just provide the link below, which provides useful information about the Ketosis Diet.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I just count calories and nothing else. I figure if you eat healthy then the numbers game doesn't really matter at all. Weight loss isn't rocket science.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm not professionally trained, but I've read a lot, and I'd suggest reducing those carbohydrates. You don't need nearly as much as "they" (not MFP per se, but the whole system, govt, health teachers, doctors, etc) say you do.

I'm at 10% carbs (but I never ever reach it) and my fat and protein are equal at 45%. ...and i've never felt better.

But you look really angry..... and constipated. LMAO. Sorry - this was just too funny. I am glad this works for you but WOW - there are good carbs.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    During a cutting phase I shoot for 50/30/20 (p/c/f) for maintenance 40/40/20. Straight out of p90x although this is a ratio that I adopted long before p90x. In general i wouldn't go over 60% carbs or below 20% fat, but tinker with it, the more you know about how each macronutrient effects you the more effectively you'll be able to optimize both your weight loss and performance.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    40(carbs)/40(protein)/20(fat)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cindi_Jo
    Cindi_Jo Posts: 19
    Options
    Interesting info here! I had to go and check where I had mine set!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm not professionally trained, but I've read a lot, and I'd suggest reducing those carbohydrates. You don't need nearly as much as "they" (not MFP per se, but the whole system, govt, health teachers, doctors, etc) say you do.

I'm at 10% carbs (but I never ever reach it) and my fat and protein are equal at 45%. ...and i've never felt better.

Hi there MaryMary, not to be critical, but i've been trying to up my protein so i clicked over to check out your diary & percentage recommendations and i see a few problems: Even though your targets are set as you say, you are falling short of hitting those targets quite often (and many days are quite low in your net calories). Running yesterday's numbers your intake was actually 9.5% carbs, 28.6% protein and 61.9% fat.

To calculate:
    each gram of carbs = 4 calories
    each gram of protein = 4 calories
    each gram of fat = 9 calories

take each of your grams consumed at the end of your day and multiply them by the corresponding value (4 or 9) to get the # of calories consumed for each macro. Then add those up: they should be roughly equivalent to your calorie total (will be off a bit due to rounding of the gram values). Then take the (CALORIES per macro * 100) and divide that by the total calories eaten to determine your ACTUAL intake ratios for the day. ... I ran numbers on one of your other days as well and the numbers came up 16% c, 25% p, and 59% f ....

I hope you take this as helpful information and not ill-intentioned criticism. I would have sent it as a personal note but i thought others could benefit from the calculations as well

Hello. I'm not trying to meet any of my targets, even my carbs, cause those are still set way too high for me, I fluctuate day to day, except I keep my carbs at around 20, that's just what I have it set for in my head. I'm not counting calories.....I'm eating when I'm hungry, stopping when I'm full. If I fall short one day...it's not a huge deal, cause it's not a daily thing. I'm counting carbs....I try to get my protein high, but I dont hound on it...my fats are high and that's okay, i'm not afraid of fat! I understand how MFP has things, but I'm just using it for certain calculations and if I fall short or go over on something (except carbs!) it's not a big deal to me.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

But you look really angry..... and constipated. LMAO. Sorry - this was just too funny. I am glad this works for you but WOW - there are good carbs.

Well that was quite rude....and then to say 'lmao sorry' doesnt make it okay, but whatever. What does what my face look like have to do with anything? I could throw back...but I'm a better person than that.

Of course there are good carbs. Am I never going to eat more carbs again? Of course not, this for me is temporary....The OP asked what works for EACH PERSON....This works for me right now.

OP asked for advice what is working for each of us..., I gave mine. I didnt see her asking for what is the US Standard.... :::Shrug:: she obviously doesnt have to use what works for ME...
  • bnew2010
    bnew2010 Posts: 3
    Options
    Also doing p90x, how do I change the ratios in MFP?
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    this is turning out to be interesting .. thank you ... just read an article suggesting apple shapes try 50% complex carbs with no potatoes .. 35$ lean protein with very little or no red meat .. and 15% "good" fat ... also recommended coconut oil when cooking ...
    be careful when using coconut oil for cooking. This and other tropical oils are actually very high in saturated fats.
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    be careful when using coconut oil for cooking. This and other tropical oils are actually very high in saturated fats.

FWIW, I've read that saturated fat from plant sources isn't nearly as bad for one's cardiovascular system as saturated fat from animal sources. Coconut oil is mostly lauric acid vs. the palmitic acid found in animal fats.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    "Coconut oil has also been shown to help support thyroid health and potentially reduce the symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue, weight gain and water retention. This is because coconut oil does not oxidize in the body. Rather, it acts as an energy source, raises basal body temperature and does not require additional enzymes to help break it down since your body recognizes the fatty acids it contains. This allows the thyroid hormones T4 to convert to T3 more effectively.

As for digestion, people with IBS, Crohn’s disease or sensitive digestion find that they do well on coconut oil. This is because the MCFAs help the intestines absorb much needed nutrients. This improved nutrient absorption facilitates healing of the digestive system and the person."

http://www.stopagingnow.com/liveinthenow/article/is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-oil-to-cook-with

I had my gallbladder out and find coconut oil better for my digestive system .. when I do need to use a little oil in cooking ... I use extra virgin oilve oil in my salads ..
  • Cindi_Jo
    Cindi_Jo Posts: 19
    Options
    I hadn't heard that about coconut oil! May have to get some to use!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat.

Agreed. 40-30-30