Leftover soup (never buy canned soup again)

Options
ShellyMacchi
ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
i have never quite understood why so many would rather have canned soup, (small servings, massive high sodium content, preservatives, always seems to be at least one veg in it you don't like, and not enough of the things you DO like , etc etc *L*)

i regularly have 'Leftover soup'..and it really varies depending on what's in the fridge.

First.. a picture of today's lunch (see my food diary for today's date to see exactly what was in it) note: this soup was higher sodium for me today, as the leftover protein (sausage) and ravioli i chose to use were higher in sodium than i usually use..the thing is, YOU are in complete control so adjust it as you like! (basics included after pic)

5622118855_3966bace2a.jpg

The basics:

per serving (if you want this to be a meal)

2 cups 'no salt added' (or low sodium) chicken or beef broth
1 tblsp tomato paste (choose a really good quality one it's worth the flavour!)
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1 tblsp onion, minced fine (vary amount to taste)
generous pinch of red pepper flakes (i like it hot myself)
italian seasoning to taste (i will have anywhere from 1/4 to 1 teaspoon, depends on how seasoned the protein is/was)
2 tblsp apple cider vinegar (this truly gives the soup a lovely tangy 'hot & sour' soup flavour imho) - i would add it after you turn heat off though to maintain the tang!

Protein - whatever amount fits your plan for that meal (whether beans or meat, even tuna fish works great! basically, whatever you have leftover, truly! - i've used leftover ground beef and meatloaf crumbled at times! *L*)

Starch - not really necessary but sure makes this into a very 'filling/satisfying' meal that will not see you hungry again in an hour)
For this i've used leftover pasta, rice, or even diced up bits of leftover baked or sweet potato - again, amount depends on your need for the meal

Veg - anything and everything works! whatever you like.. fresh, frozen, leftovers, the more the merrier as this really makes the bulks of the soup. Heck, i even put sliced up black olives in this at times.. yum!!

i really and truly throw all this in a pot and start it simmering (no sauting the onions etc first). Cook only as long as necessary for veg to be as 'done' as you like.. this really is all about your tastes!

Save things like spinach or bok choy (as shown in pics) for the last few minutes of simmering so they are not overcooked.

the picture above is actually a little less than one full serving *L* i'd already started eating when i decided to take a pic!

Toppings are a good thing too!
I've had everything from parmesan cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt, diced avocado... etc etc.. again, just depends on what you need/want to plan for use in that meal.

The point i guess is...
why are you buying canned soup when YOU really can control the nutrition calories and sodium SO easily and in so beautiful and filling a way!?!

To make this soup usually only takes me as long as it takes the carrots to cook to 'still a bit crunchy' (cause that's how i like them *L*) but it only really takes as long as it takes for everything to be as 'done' as you like!
Often it only takes about 10 minutes and most of that time is spent chopping up the raw veg bits *L*

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Looks so yummy!!! Thanx for posting! I love soup!
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    Oh I can't wait to try that! MMMMMM Thanks for the recipe!!!!
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    love this post. i made my own soup a few days ago too. so filling, yet not high in sodium, calories, etc.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious. I also love soups and since joining mfp I avoid all canned soups and veggies due to the crazy high sodium!!Thanks for sharing:)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You, lady, are BRILLIANT. *bump*
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome, and way better than any canned soup. Reading your recipe method reminded me of Pho....Mmmmmmmmm!
  • Heather0611
    Heather0611 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    *Bump!!
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    YUM!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. yum!
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh ....yummy!!! I love soup but the sodium content in the canned stuff is lethal.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I seldom ever eat canned soup and on the occasion I try to for convenience, I simply can hardly gag it down. It is so overly processed and like you said high in sodium. Making home made soup is so easy and there are so many different possibilities. I absolutely love cilantro and I find adding (towards the end of cooking) some chopped up cilantro, in soups, stews, chili's or any such dish just makes them even more yummy. The great thing about soups is all the many and varied vegetables you can get into your dish, I think it helps you to consume more vegetables. I feel the same way about green smoothies.....I can really pack the greens into a smoothie and feel so good about getting in so many greens........and no nasty salad dressings.

Thanks Shelly, that is my idea of a bowl of yummy soup.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Thanks - I am going to make soup tomorrow now!!! :bigsmile:
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    and it's a great tip about the apple cider!!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I had kept canned soup in my desk drawer as an emergency. Well one day I had the soup thinking I was being healthy because it was High Fiber soup. OMG when I looked at the sodium it was disgusting. I will never do that again. I definitely will try this. You could even freeze some for emergencies when you don't have anything to have for lunch.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    thank you all *S*.. i am glad if it helps spark some ideas of soups you may want to make for yourself. i was so busy admiring my bowl of soup as i was eating it hubby jokingly said 'you should take a picture of it' ... tadah!

and the version shown above really does make HUGE serving! i made the same amount for hubby today and was first time he has seen it, and his first comment was 'omg michele! that's a huge amount of food!' (he is NOT known for his prowess in portion control, he likes HUGE servings)

it could as easily be two servings as one i am sure, i just like a big filling bowl of soup myself *L*
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Love homemade soups! The only type I eat now!
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious! Thanks for the tips! :-))
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    This looks delicious!! Im definitely going to make it this week:)
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Soups are so great because they fill you up as a snack, before a meal, or even as a meal! The leftover soup looks fantastic, and what better way to use up produce and stuff that's on it's way out! The soup my mom and I make all the time is actually supposed to be a crafty gift, but we just put batches of the spices and rice together into ziplock bags and keep them in the cabinet so everything is all measure out and ready to go! Then, you just need a few other things (protein, etc).
    Here is the link - you can always adjust with different amounts of spice, keep it vegetarian, etc.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-tortilla-soup-mix-jar-gift-172829

Enjoy!