Bob Harper Book Review

Options
About 10 days ago, I wrote a review of Jillian Michael's book "Making the Cut". I didn't like it. I decided to read Bob Harper's book "Are you Ready!" for contrast. I do like his style, both in the BL workout videos and in his book.

He has some glaring errors though. First he needs a decent editor. I have a feeling this book was rushed to press - he says see the weight chart on page 000, and, of course, there's no weight chart anywhere - this is just one of many "editing" errors. The main problem I had was his contradictory advice to cut out all processed food, then recommended 100 calorie packs - I got news for him...those are like low tar cigarettes - (kudos to viviakay for that analogy).

Although his up-faced dog needs some work, the pictures of the weights exercises are great. I also like his positive reinforcement attitude. It was completely refreshing after reading Michael's book. His focus on "why we eat" is very important and often ignored in diet books.

So both Michael's and Harper needed some nutrition work and both had great exercise routines (as one would expect being written by Personal Trainers) - the difference lay in the attitude. Harper was nurturing while Michael's was boot camp. Also, Harper talked about "a life change"; whereas, Michael's was a 30 day plan.

Coming soon, review of "What to Eat".

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    About 10 days ago, I wrote a review of Jillian Michael's book "Making the Cut". I didn't like it. I decided to read Bob Harper's book "Are you Ready!" for contrast. I do like his style, both in the BL workout videos and in his book.

He has some glaring errors though. First he needs a decent editor. I have a feeling this book was rushed to press - he says see the weight chart on page 000, and, of course, there's no weight chart anywhere - this is just one of many "editing" errors. The main problem I had was his contradictory advice to cut out all processed food, then recommended 100 calorie packs - I got news for him...those are like low tar cigarettes - (kudos to viviakay for that analogy).

Although his up-faced dog needs some work, the pictures of the weights exercises are great. I also like his positive reinforcement attitude. It was completely refreshing after reading Michael's book. His focus on "why we eat" is very important and often ignored in diet books.

So both Michael's and Harper needed some nutrition work and both had great exercise routines (as one would expect being written by Personal Trainers) - the difference lay in the attitude. Harper was nurturing while Michael's was boot camp. Also, Harper talked about "a life change"; whereas, Michael's was a 30 day plan.

Coming soon, review of "What to Eat".