Feel like giving up, very limited results. Advice?

Options
CJC128
CJC128 Posts: 18 Member
I have been working out and dieting for 4 weeks now. 1 pound lost. So disappointed, I just want to give up. I am trying to stick to a 1200 calorie diet and going to the gym 4 days a week. What am I doing wrong!? I need to lose 10 pounds fast, any advice?

Replies

• Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat more?
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Are you eating you exercise cals?
  • furbjones2003
    Options
    Don't give up, as it might be the things your eating. Try the HCG diet as that works great, but follow the rules to the T!
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do NOT give up!!!! You just have to keep it up and the results will show!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may need to eat more. Also, what kind of exercise are you doing? If you're doing steady state, it may not be enough to jolt your body into changing.

Good luck!:smile:
  • bwyne03
    bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your carbs?? My friend spoke to a nutritionist and her advice was to limit carbs to 30 per meal, 15 for 2 snacks per day. My friend lost weight sticking with this plan. I've noticed personally for myself as well if I keep the carbs down, I lose more. It can be challenging though as alot of foods have both good and bad carbs. Don't give up! We all get discouraged, but in the end it's all worth it!!
  • CJC128
    Options
    I try not to. I try and stick to 1200 total. Is this wrong?
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    if you open your diary we can give more educated suggestions.....:smile:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, as it might be the things your eating. Try the HCG diet as that works great, but follow the rules to the T!

The OP only has about 10 lbs to lose, per their ticker. As such, they are NOT a good candidate for the HCG diet. Personally I find it sketchy even for people with a lot to lose, but all the credible resources I've seen make it clear that it is only meant for people with a lot of weight to lose. It's best not to go around suggesting this type of extreme plan to everyone.

To the OP - you should be eating some of those exercise calories if you aren't already. Seriously - feeding your body enough will make a big difference. MFP builds your deficit in assuming you aren't going to exercise, so when you exercise, you need more fuel.

Also, you don't have much to lose, so it will be a slow process if you want to do it in a healthy, safe way - no way around that.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories! MFP adds them back for a reason!
  • CJC128
    Options
    I haven't tried limiting carbs, good idea. Thanks everyone for the support!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    seeing as you only have 12lbs to loose, the weight doesnt come off as quick. they say the last 10pounds is the hardest... your last 10 is also your first 10 lol.

it might help to make ur diary public, we cant give u advice without knowing what you are doing what so ever.

If you eat 1200 a day and then excercise, you arent eating enough. your NET calories has to be 1200, not your food intake calorie number.
  • dmaster555
    Options
    I have been working out and dieting for 4 weeks now. 1 pound lost. So disappointed, I just want to give up. I am trying to stick to a 1200 calorie diet and going to the gym 4 days a week. What am I doing wrong!? I need to lose 10 pounds fast, any advice?

eat more and stop overdoing it. you are slowing your metabolism effectively.
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Not everyone loses a lot of weight at first there are a few of us who lose very little at first. It took me 6 weeks before I lost any weight. My problem which also could be your is I was putting on muscle and when you trade muscle for fat you may see no change or even a bit of weight gain. As bhb301 said are you eating back your exercise cals? Even if you can't eat them all try to eat a good portion of them back.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    If you mean you try not to eat back your exercise calories then yes you are wrong. MFP has you at 1200 based on your lifestyle I guess? I hope you did not randomly pull that number. You need to eat to lose weight..... It was a hard thing to wrap my head around too, but try it I bet you'll be pleasently surprised.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    if you open your diary we can give more educated suggestions.....:smile:

That's what I was thinking.....let us see what you are eating and we can help........................
  • alycia1234
    Options
    I totally understand what you are feeling. I have been on MFP for a month and My total weight loss is also 1 lbs. It is very disappointing. I am also losing motivation. However, I do feel toner and my abs are more defined. My weight do fluctuates alot 2-3 lbs every other day. It could be water retention. I have also gotten advised on my sodium level. On the days that you workout, you have to eat more than 1200 a day. Remember to log everything you eat. I have not given up and still trying, I hope you will too.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    "The most common cause of a plateau in fat loss is not training-related, however. The most common reason for hitting a wall in fat loss is that your calories are too low and your body has entered starvation mode. Once you start to go into starvation mode, no amount of increased training will help. The only thing that can get you out of starvation mode is eating more. If your calories have been very low and you suspect the starvation response is the culprit, the best thing you can do is keep your food quality "clean" (don’t eat a lot of junk), but raise your calories for a while. You can prevent this type of plateau from occurring again by using the "Zig - Zag" or "High - Low" method of dieting: that is, eat a few days of higher calories and higher carbs followed by a few days of lower calories and lower carbs. On the low calorie/low carb days, you lose body fat rapidly, and before your body can adapt, you raise the calories back up, which increases your metabolic rate and keeps you out of starvation mode." - Tom Venuto

http://www.femalemuscle.com/q_a/question31.htm

ie, EAT MORE CALS
  • CJC128
    Options
    I usually do 30 minutes of cardio then weight lift for 30 minutes. Then 10 minutes of ab work. I also rock climb once a week and take a 24 hour fitness body pump class.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

yes. http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/