carbs!!

Options
sana66
sana66 Posts: 54 Member
hi guys..im really struggling to calculate how much carbs is hould be having a day! myfitnesspal recomended above 200grams which i think is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much! im trying to stick to a 100, but not sure if thats right?
im not on the atkins diet or anything, I just want to be on a good balanced diet where i have a bit of everything. Could any1 reccomend how many grams of carbs is sufficient to loose a steady amount of weight..

Replies

• lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 20%
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have always found this calculator to be very useful. Hope it helps!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
  • Deloge
    Deloge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i think 100 wouldnt be enough, but thats just my thought, as long as yr getting all the nutrients your body needs
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Generally it's recommended that about 50% of your calories come from carbs, but if you work out hard, and often, maybe up it to 55%, which is what I do, and haven't had any problems losing weight.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I struggle to understand why carbs are so bad? If you exercise with the diet, there is no reason in the world to worry.

Unless you like your body to take away from the muscles instead of carbs.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. Carbs are burned as energy and produce serotonin, the chemical that makes us happy. I adjust my clients percentages on here to be 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. If you want to try something a bit more dramatic, you can adjust them to 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    So many people thing carbs are bad. Well, there are good carbs (like veggies and fruits) and then there are bad carbs (like a candy bar). I'm Type 2 Diabetic and I eat carbs!! My setting for carbs are at 45%. I make sure my highest carb meal is about an hour before a workout. You need 'fuel' to get through it.

Exactly what Alphastate said: 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat are my settings.
  • k_ewilliams
    Options
    You are supposed to get 45 to 65 percent of you daily calories from carbohydrates. So just multiply your recommended cals by .65 and that's you prime number. Then 25 percent are fat calories and 10 percent from protein. Obviously these numbers can vary, these are just guidelines..
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to get 45 to 65 percent of you daily calories from carbohydrates. So just multiply your recommended cals by .65 and that's you prime number. Then 25 percent are fat calories and 10 percent from protein. Obviously these numbers can vary, these are just guidelines..

This is so not true.............

I get about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Today my carbs will be a bit more, probably about 10% because I had some grapes.

The mainstay of my eating plan is fat.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I get about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Today my carbs will be a bit more, probably about 10% because I had some grapes.

If I may ask, what eating plan is this? That's a LOT of fat to be getting in your diet, no? Three times the amount of fat than protein? Is it for a medical reason? :indifferent:
  • Grokette
    Options

If I may ask, what eating plan is this? That's a LOT of fat to be getting in your diet, no? Three times the amount of fat than protein? Is it for a medical reason? :indifferent:

It is based on Paleo standards and is an anti-inflammatory plan. There are many medical reasons why I and many others eat this way and get to optimum health.
  • k_ewilliams
    Options
    Hey, as I said it is just a guide, but I got the values actually from a course I just finished at university. It was focused on nutrition, and there were studies that back up the values. So they are not just pulled out of thin air lol.
    Personally, I do not eat so much of the higher extremity of fat. Since it goes right to the hips...
  • Grokette
    Options
    Hey, as I said it is just a guide, but I got the values actually from a course I just finished at university. It was focused on nutrition, and there were studies that back up the values. So they are not just pulled out of thin air lol.
    Personally, I do not eat so much of the higher extremity of fat. Since it goes right to the hips...

Actually eating a higher percentage of fat will cause your body to burn fat so my hips are actually about 4 inches smaller in the past 6 weeks............
  • k_ewilliams
    Options
    What!?! That is actually nuts to me! I've never heard of those values before, I'm such a major carb eater... I love them. How do you manage lot only eat 10 percent? I would last less then a day following that...props haha
  • believetoachieve
    Options

It is based on Paleo standards and is an anti-inflammatory plan. There are many medical reasons why I and many others eat this way and get to optimum health.

Is there a reason behind such a high fat intake? It seems to go against what the medical community advocates.

I don't think the other poster was wrong though, you've just adopted an nontraditional diet :wink:
  • believetoachieve
    Options

Actually eating a higher percentage of fat will cause your body to burn fat so my hips are actually about 4 inches smaller in the past 6 weeks............

Please link me the article!! If there's any way I get to eat fat and lose it, I'm all for it :bigsmile:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet just makes no sense to me. If you eat what nature gave you, I'm pretty sure nature gave carbs.

Fat get produced from carbs... I mean... The whole thing makes no sense.
  • k_ewilliams
    Options
    Oh that's super interesting, I'd like to read it too. I learnt that because it is already fat, the body requires less energy to convert the fat into stored fat... Whereas for the amino acids from proteins and monosaccharides from carbs have to change into the fat structure.
    As I said, super interesting that it seems the reverse is true, as well.
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    Oh that's super interesting, I'd like to read it too. I learnt that because it is already fat, the body requires less energy to convert the fat into stored fat... Whereas for the amino acids from proteins and monosaccharides from carbs have to change into the fat structure.
    As I said, super interesting that it seems the reverse is true, as well.

Agreed. At the moment I think it's insane & a way to justify eating fat, lol. But I'm keeping a completely open mind until I read the link she provides. It seems to go against all basic nutrition/medical/health principles :huh:
  • Rockin33
    Rockin33 Posts: 58
    Options
    I set mine at 20%

I've been trying to figure out how to set my numbers differently. Can you guide me through the steps or tell me where to go. Thank you.