cinnamon...really??

Options
lipt8611
lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
I add cinnamon to EVERYTHING. Seriously. I put that ish on everything. Yogurt, smoothies, fruit, chicken, fish, pasta, veggies, stir fry, popcorn, ice cream, coffee, tea, water........I can't get enough of it.

I also never thought to enter it into my food diary. I always thought of it as a "neutral" food. WOW, was I surprised today when I finally looked up the stats- FOUR GRAMS OF FIBER PER TABLESPOON? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

(Don't know if this is common knowledge....it wasn't for me! Thought I'd throw it out there... :smile: )

Replies

• ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I LOVEE cinnamon ! haha i had the same reaction when i found out it also had carbs..i was like ..what!? lol but nothing to worry about honestly most of the time i forget to document it since its just a sprinkle..but it makes all the difference flavor-wise :D
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love putting cinnamon on my pear and orange fruit salad.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's great for circulation too.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon to EVERYTHING. Seriously. I put that ish on everything. Yogurt, smoothies, fruit, chicken, fish, pasta, veggies, stir fry, popcorn, ice cream, coffee, tea, water........I can't get enough of it.

I also never thought to enter it into my food diary. I always thought of it as a "neutral" food. WOW, was I surprised today when I finally looked up the stats- FOUR GRAMS OF FIBER PER TABLESPOON? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

(Don't know if this is common knowledge....it wasn't for me! Thought I'd throw it out there... :smile: )
    Nope i never knew that...I never really add it though...I will have to try it on my popcorn!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    *does the cinnamon dance*

if you have popcorn, try using coconut oil instead of butter, and toss with cinnamon. YUM, YUM!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I hear tigers hate cinnamon...
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    Well fiber burns even more calories naturally as you're digesting it so that's a great benefit
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium

Cinnamon is awesome for many things it also increases your metabolism of sugar! Portion control is all you need!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I hear tigers hate cinnamon...

No, they LOVE cinnamon, they hate pepper!!
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    Eeeek! I hate to rain on the yummy-flavored parade, but I want to make this a safer, healthier party. All the studies that show amazing benefit from cinnamon are talking about the kind that you don't eat. Yep, I'm sure. Here's why:

There are four types of cinnamon, Ceylon Cinnamon or "true cinnamon" (almost exclusively grown in Sri Lanka), and everything else (called Cassia, Chinese Cinnamon, Indonesian Cinnamon, Siagon Cinnamon, Korintji cinnamon, or Vietnamese Cinnamon).

Sri Lankan Cinnamon (Ceylon Cinnamon) is the kind with all the amazing benefits. It's also expensive and not sold in the US except through the internet or possibly some health food stores (but I've never seen it there). It's the only kind you can get in Europe because the other stuff is banned. Yep, BANNED. Why? Because it's toxic, even in pretty small doses-- it's terrible for your liver. So where does the rest of the cinnamon-growing world send their cinnamon? Here.

Wikipedia (with the influence of the food industry, I'm sure) has couched it this way:
    Due to the presence of a moderately toxic component called coumarin, European health agencies have recently warned against consuming large amounts of cassia. This is contained in much lower dosages in Cinnamomum burmannii due to its low essential oil content. Coumarin is known to cause liver and kidney damage in high concentrations. Ceylon cinnamon has negligible amounts of coumarin.

Now, Wiki can't come right out and say it, but a quick google search of "cinnamon dangers" will tell you that wiki vastly understates the dangers.

I'm not saying don't enjoy cinnamon-- I love it. Just please be sure you're eating the right kind!! :wink:
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Eeeek! I hate to rain on the yummy-flavored parade, but I want to make this a safer, healthier party. All the studies that show amazing benefit from cinnamon are talking about the kind that you don't eat. Yep, I'm sure. Here's why:

There are four types of cinnamon, Ceylon Cinnamon or "true cinnamon" (almost exclusively grown in Sri Lanka), and everything else (called Cassia, Chinese Cinnamon, Indonesian Cinnamon, Siagon Cinnamon, Korintji cinnamon, or Vietnamese Cinnamon).

Sri Lankan Cinnamon (Ceylon Cinnamon) is the kind with all the amazing benefits. It's also expensive and not sold in the US except through the internet or possibly some health food stores (but I've never seen it there). It's the only kind you can get in Europe because the other stuff is banned. Yep, BANNED. Why? Because it's toxic, even in pretty small doses-- it's terrible for your liver. So where does the rest of the cinnamon-growing world send their cinnamon? Here.

wow interesting! another nutrition topic to read up on :)

Wikipedia (with the influence of the food industry, I'm sure) has couched it this way:
    Due to the presence of a moderately toxic component called coumarin, European health agencies have recently warned against consuming large amounts of cassia. This is contained in much lower dosages in Cinnamomum burmannii due to its low essential oil content. Coumarin is known to cause liver and kidney damage in high concentrations. Ceylon cinnamon has negligible amounts of coumarin.

Now, Wiki can't come right out and say it, but a quick google search of "cinnamon dangers" will tell you that wiki vastly understates the dangers.

I'm not saying don't enjoy cinnamon-- I love it. Just please be sure you're eating the right kind!! :wink:
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

You can get it here...
    http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/whole-soft-stick-and-ground-ceylon-true-cinnamon
    This place is awesome! Buy your first batch of spices in a glass (not plastic) jar and then just order refills when you need them. Less waste and better prices than McCormick!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ants hate cinnamon, they won't cross a line of it. It's my first line of defense when the little buggers try and invade us in the Spring. :wink:
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    *does the cinnamon dance*

if you have popcorn, try using coconut oil instead of butter, and toss with cinnamon. YUM, YUM!

ooh that sounds good and good for you too.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

my aunt used to have us choke that concoction down for allergies...but i think she used a lot more than 1/2 a teaspoon of cinn lol....
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

You can get it here...
    http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/whole-soft-stick-and-ground-ceylon-true-cinnamon
    This place is awesome! Buy your first batch of spices in a glass (not plastic) jar and then just order refills when you need them. Less waste and better prices than McCormick!

i'd known that what we use as cinn is cassia but did not know the downsides! Thanks for posting the link will have to check that out....

okay that is a dangerous website... lol dangerous for my credit card :bigsmile:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading!
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    wow....i'm so amazed...i have to save this for my husband to see...BUMP
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    interesting! I always forget to add spices and such!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I used to put a little brown sugar in my oatmeal and today I tried a bit of cinnamon. It was just as good!