Aunt Flow: Should I eat more calories when she visits?

Options
So from what I know, when I start my period all my energy gets drained and I cant stop myself from eating a little more than I should.

Should I keep my calories under my goal when on my period or would it be okay to go a bit over?

Replies

• yertle
    yertle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I dont know the answer to this, but I am interested to hear what everyone has to say. I have the same issue each month.
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    me too!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Eat more as in...go over your allotted calories given by MFP? Or eat more calories because you don't' consume all of your calories given by MFP?

I wouldn't eat more if you're going over your calorie goals. I feel you on wanting to eat more but idk if it's needed...now if you want too and you're still under...wtf not? lol

I'd say you should up your iron and fluids though as you are losing blood containing iron.
    I agree!
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    I dont know the answer to this, but I am interested to hear what everyone has to say. I have the same issue each month.

That's what I was going to say! Haha

I know everyone I know has CRAVINGS for more calories around this time but I doubt you need more. I'd say you should up your iron and fluids though as you are losing blood containing iron.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i seem to want carbs alot when auntie's here. i think sometimes you need to listen to your body. i don't know if that's what you should do though.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    NO!:smile:
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to eat more chocolate during that time of the month :) I am not sure its recommended to intake more calories but I know I am usually hungier during that time of the month
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest sticking within your cals (daily plus exercise cals) but maybe think about what you are eating. If you are craving more carbs have hot toast with peanut butter or oatmeal - good warm comfort food that is still good for you!
  • marysimmons
    marysimmons Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wish the answer was "YES" but you are just havin a cycle not a baby. :} Even with a baby you are only suppose to eat what 300 extra calories so for Aunt Flo she is just that family member that likes to come over and cook for you and feed ya all the time knowing we dont need it!!! I love chocolate when Aunt Flo comes around!!!! mmmmmmmmmm
  • cmschaad
    cmschaad Posts: 3
    Options
    I like what the others said about uping your iron and water. I would agree that you may not "need" more calories during that time, however your body may "need" more vitamins and water... and dark chocolate if you really need it.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just googled this topic and learned that women burn more calories during their period (up to 15%) more and the cravings we get the body's natural way of compensating for this. So, I would say to listen to your body....if you're hungry eat, but try to be sensible with the choices you make.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I thought Aunt Flow was in fact your AUNT!

after reading your message here goes what my experience has been:
    if you feel down and lacking energy, you need to eat RED meat. Your body needs iron.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You need more protein to replenish the blood lose. If you have light or heavy flow it doesn't matter. You need to eat foods to build up your blood/iron reserves. RED meat is the best way to do that.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

if you feel down and lacking energy, you need to eat RED meat. Your body needs iron.

That would be a RESOUNDING NOT!!!!!! I don't eat any red meat and do just fine~ Gross. Just my opinion. :smile:
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Red meat is not the only, or best, source of iron. Beans, dried fruit, and cooking in a cast iron skillet are great ways to get iron. I'm vegetarian and iron is not a problem (see my diary!). I also take a B-12 supplement to increase the absorption of iron.

Fatigue can be caused my low iron, but also by poor carbohydrate sources, lack of sleep, stress, a bad day, time change, and a million other things. If you're needing a few more carbs during that time, don't fret. If you're hungry, feed your body what it needs. Carbohydrate + protein snacks are great for boosting and maintaining your energy. Also, because we lose fluid during that time (and retain water as a result), stay super hydrated. Drink more water than normal.

Hope this helps.
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    I have read that the body does actually require more calories during this time, but I don't claim to know if this is true. Any nutritionists or doctors in the house? I would say if you are hungrier, maybe take in a couple hundred extra calories. Most of us stay under our goals anyway. But make those healthy calories, not candy and chips. I guess upping the iron and protein like many have suggested may help, too. I'm not going to do it through red meat, though, because I'm 99% vegetarian.
  • Pande
    Pande Posts: 33
    Options
    As a Vegan I would never touch red meat lol...
    Ah well the reason I ask if we should eat more calories is cuz our body will be burning a lot of calories pushing this stuff out of us right?
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for presenting the quesion -- I was wondering the same thing.

I have been SO hungry this week! I've been pretty good, but was wondering if my body was trying to tell me something (other than the relatives were here! LOL)
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Or cook some food in a cast iron pan. ^^
  • sophierayjones
    Options
    recently i did have to increase my food because i felt so dizzy and sick. I had an extra 'meal' (ie a sandwich) and half a choccie bar and all was well again... also ate lots of spinach...