Compression sock help

Options
I have edema caused by venous insufficiency. My doctor has told me that I need to start wearing compression socks. I'm looking for ones that are cute and hip because I am only 31 years old. Does anybody know where I can find some? They need to be 30-40 mmHg.

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    As I read your post an ad for compressionsockshop.com popped up. Maybe there or Amazon.com? Good luck!!
    Ted
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've never seen pretty ones...but you could pretty up a pair yourself.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I have edema caused by venous insufficiency. My doctor has told me that I need to start wearing compression socks. I'm looking for ones that are cute and hip because I am only 31 years old. Does anybody know where I can find some? They need to be 40-40 mmHg.

I also have venous insufficiency and lymphodema... I wear compression socks 18+ hours a day....

There are LOADS of good ones, inexpensive and very expensive ( typically the ones that look closer to flesh toned nylons are the most expensive)

for exercise, I use OxySox brand... they look more like sweat socks and have the heaviest compression in its type

otherwise, I use Futuro or Jobst brand.... you can find them cheaper online.... they make ones sheer, ultra sheer , thicker like opaque tights and then a ribbed man sock type

if you buy them someplace like Walgreens or CVS, the type considered "men knee-hi" are least expensive.... this is what I wear during workweek.

the higher the compression, the more expensive... Are you sure you are to wear that heavy of compression all the time?? I tend to only need the heavy first thing in the morning....

that said, you are more than likely going to find better prices on the 'net than any medical supply or even Walmart ( who DOES sell them but you will be hard pressed to find 40mm there)
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options

not the compression the OP needs, per her Dr, but for a sport sock, its about as good as it gets..... otherwise the OP needs the medical grade ones that dont come on a sweat sock type

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/CEP103/

# Ankle Support Level: 20-25mmHG
    # Calf Support Level: 18mmHG
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Maybe wear it on top of medical socks?
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Maybe wear it on top of medical socks?

quite honestly, I do fine with just the OxySock ...but am SURE after exercising to put on a tighter compression sock.... I have gotten accustomed to sleeping in the male trouser sock pair
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    ALSO!! BEWARE.. though you can machine w3ash them, BE SURE TO NEVER PUT THEM IN DRYER!! just lay flat to dry
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips everyone, that really helps! Especially the tip about the dryer!!