Attn: Women in their 30's - will you share your story w/me?

TonysMiss
TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
There is a lil' bit of "woah is me in here" but I am sincere. :flowerforyou:
I've been doing A LOT of reading and I'm wondering if others on here started where I am now. Okay, I know not "IF" but wanting people to share their story. I'm in the 165ish range; 5' 5'' and I think the lowest I've ever been is about 130-135. I want that back again. From what my body has shown me over the last couple years (37 years old now) eek!! ....... is that it doesn't want to respond like it used to! I used to lower my calories, work out a few times and week and BAM. Not any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kind of frustrated because I think I'm in a "stinkin' thinkin' " frame of mind and am just curious as to what others in my situation have done to help them succeed?
There was a time when I woke up at 4am to get my day started. Worked out for an hour to an hour and a half, made lunches, got ready for work, worked, came home, made dinner and passed out by 9pm! I don't know that lady anymore!!! (I know, I know, TONS of people do this. I'm no special case, totally aware of this! LOL) Now, I can't seem to get to bed BEFORE 10pm and have this awesome sleeping problem so am lucky to get to sleep an hour after I have been in bed!:grumble:

I have ALL the excuses in the world as to WHY I don't do this or that. I'm tired, I work full time, I'm a single mother, and I don't get 7 hours of sleep NOW let alone adding more to my schedule...blah blah blah freaking blah! I'm what I would call a motivated procrastinator. haha. But on a serious note I really do want to start to put some "real life" practices in to make the lifestyle changes I'm looking for. I've never done any "fad" diets or diet pills. I am a firm believer that you must make a LIFESTYLE change because you are only going to hang on to the weight loss for as long as you are willing to DO whatever it was to loose it in the first place. I told one of my MFP friends today that if any of my friends were talking like this I would tell them to get their butt off the couch!!!!! :smile: But I'm seriously having a real struggle with this! I don't know WHY but my energy and motivation are almost ceasing to exist!!

I'm not into any of the frozen food crap in the stores. Tons of sodium and carbs and usually taste like whatever package they come in. Gross!! Even canned soup tastes like I'm licking the inside of an aluminum can. Over all I'm a "healthy" person. I watch what I eat. Make good decisions on my diet for the most part but this my problem......
Hello, my name is Heidi and I'm addicted to ice cream. Seriously I think I could live off ice cream!! Regular, Light, Low fat, Sherbert......whatever...... I mean really, why is this not its own food group? Wait, it is..... It’s the FAT food group! It's in the "eat good all day then blow yourself out of the water in the evening" food group

I know I HAVE to stop eating that stuff and I read a thing today on "closing" your kitchen after dinner. The concept of I "can't" have that; to this is not even an OPTION. Yeah, sounds great, but how the hell do I do that? I just have to want it bad enough? Get off my *kitten* and go to the gym instead? Okay, so I admit it....don't WANT to DO any of that....because I feel like crap. With that being said..... I know that I have to get moving in order for me to start FEELING different! I remember.... it seems like a lifetime ago but I remember. :wink:

So, I expect to get some bashes for this post but whatever....... I really want to hear what others have done that has helped them. I KNOW I need to move to improve.... tell me something I don't know. I want to know what YOU have done to MOVE. :happy: I really enjoy learning and reading. I would love to hear your stories for some inspiration!
Thanks in advance!
This is such an awesome site and I'm so thankful that I came across it!!

Replies

• Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    I'm not going to bash you because you KNOW what you have to do, you just have to do it. You have to want it bad enough to get up and change your ways. Discipline yourself, be consistent and set your goals. Prepare all your meals ahead of time and stay committed to your goals.

Here is my journey:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/213857-my-weight-loss-journey

It wasn't easy, it took me a while to stay consistent and put down the junk food but once I started seeing results it was no turning back.
    Pick something that you enjoy doing and make it fun.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I was over 160 at 5'5 & 38 years old when I started. I didn't weigh myself for a few weeks, so I don't know exactly HOW much over I was. I'm down 20 now, after four months.

What worked for me was focusing on something other than the scale. I started training to do a 5k, from scratch. I used the Couch to 5k Running Plan. I've never run before. Always hated it. But I wanted to do the Warrior Dash in June, and that was as good an excuse as any to get my *kitten* in gear.

Now, I'm a running fool. :smile: I love it. I love how each time I run faster or longer, it's a victory. I know I'm getting healthier and stronger, and that was my primary goal. Getting leaner is just a wonderful side effect of that!

And I've started doing other workouts, too. I do whatever videos are available on Netflix streaming, and the "EA Sports Active 2" on the Playstation. I'm signed up for some Zumba classes, but have a hard time going.

I really haven't changed my diet all that much. I still have junk when I want it. I don't tell myself I can't have something. I decide if it fits into my daily food goals or doesn't. Some thing, like Pop Tarts, I've decided are just not worth the amount of calories they "cost." Not when I can have Nutella on an English Muffin for way less! Yum!

So my advice would be to challenge yourself to some non-scale goals, whether it's a running training plan, or a month of doing a certain DVD (lots of folks like the 30 Day Shred), or something where you'll carve out time, even just a half hour a day, just for you. Stick with it, don't look at the scale, and you will see results. :smile:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Consistency is key.

My journey is not over, by any stretch of the imagination. But, my goal is not just to LOOK healthy, but to actually BE fit and healthy. I'm only 15 lbs down (due to poor food choices & bad math at the beginning of my journey) but I AM healthier.

My resting heart rate is lower. I have to work harder to get my heart rate UP. I can breathe easier when doing "easy" exercises. I can lift my 26 lb daughter over my head over and over and over and over and over... in that way that toddlers like.

I don't have my "perfect" body back yet... It's just going to be a side effect of living healthier.
  • TonysMiss
    Thank you, Thank you ladies!!! I need to hear this! :flowerforyou:
  • TonysMiss
    I'm not going to bash you because you KNOW what you have to do, you just have to do it. You have to want it bad enough to get up and change your ways. Discipline yourself, be consistent and set your goals. Prepare all your meals ahead of time and stay committed to your goals.

Here is my journey:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/213857-my-weight-loss-journey

It wasn't easy, it took me a while to stay consistent and put down the junk food but once I started seeing results it was no turning back.
    Pick something that you enjoy doing and make it fun.
    Thank you so much! ( and for not bashing ) lol, I've read some stuff on here....I wanted to delete it after I posted it but couldn't figure it out!
    Glad I didn't now.
  • kermie79
    kermie79 Posts: 9
    I am 5'2, 129 and have lost 40 lbs over the last 2 years. Like you, I could live off of ice cream!!!! I love the skinny cow products especially the single serve ice cream. I probably eat ice cream 3 times a week and still have lost weight. I don't think you should deprive yourself of anything just chose healthier versions and eat in moderation. I just make sure to plan eating ice cream in to my daily food plan so I can still enjoy it but not go over my calories for the day. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.