Joint Pain?

Options
Okay so i started working out and it was going great for a few days....i was on the high you get when you start something new. Then out of nowhere my knee's start to hurt really bad, the only time they don't hurt is when iam walking or laying down. If iam doing lungs, squats...anything that needs my knees to bend just hurt really badly. So my question is do i just work it out or should i take joint supplements or is it really serious that i need to go see a doctor. Any advice is welcome.

TIA!!

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a doctor because you don't want to hurt your knees! I was having a lot of pain in my knees in the beginning as well, so I took it a little easy on the plyometrics until I started getting used to the exercise.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor. You may have to go low impact with your workouts. Swimming and elliptical are really great low impact cardio.
  • mignalg
    mignalg Posts: 30
    Options
    That happened to me too when I started, probably because of the extra weight I was carrying, but I tried Osteo-Bi-Flex and that helped big time.
  • MonaIsaak
    MonaIsaak Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It really does get in the way. I'll probably see a doc and hope it ain't anything serious.I did get some pills meant for joint pain so i hope that helps as well.
  • jjkriv
    jjkriv Posts: 42
    Options
    My elbow joint sometimes act up,I take an Omega 3-6-9 fish pill and it sort of helps,I don't get it often but it is a real pain in the butt when it happens on a bicep workout.
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis so I'm no stranger to joint pain, but I'd just suggest being careful as you ease into any work-out routine. I started working out really hard and quickly learned that I have to work my way into various exercises (especially anything high-impact on my knees). I do a lot on the elliptical and recumbent bike just to make it easier on my knees, ankles, and hips. I wouldn't worry too much if you just started working out, but you should always consult with a physician before starting any kind of diet or work out routine (I know it sounds silly, but my physician gave me a long list of things to avoid like medications and foods).

Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    My knees have been bad since I was a kid because of ballet and sports. I found that reducing the cross ramp on the elliptical helps - I don't go above 7 and instead I increase the tension.

I would avoid squats and lunges until you see your doctor.